This forum will focus on some of the most important developments in the world situation in the last few months:
- the deepening of the ‘debt crisis’, now hitting not only weaker countries like Greece but the world’s most powerful economy, the USA
- the explosion of social protests across North Africa, Spain, Greece, and most recently Israel
- the war in Libya
- the riots in Britain.
We will try to show that all these events have a common root: the historic dead-end reached by capitalism. We will try to discuss both the dangers and the potential in the situation, focusing on questions such as:
- does capitalism have any way out of the current crisis, or is it actually reaching the terminal stages of its decline?
- What is the class nature of the revolts, demonstrations and assemblies we have seen in the recent period?
- How did the protests in Libya get diverted into an imperialist war?
- Do the riots in Britain contain the potential for a movement against capitalism?
Short presentation followed by open discussion. All welcome