International Communist Cruise ship

1 post / 0 new
d-man
International Communist Cruise ship
Printer-friendly version

A few commentators have been sniping, that these decadent abominations never should have existed. I don't want to be a contrarian (like Spiked) or a Utopian (luxury communism: yachts for everyone!), but here are just some frivolous remarks about cruise ships (this thread can be marked as a place for banter in general, if the forum needs one of those).

First, is the battering of the cruise line industry not the symbol of an era's end, like the sinking of the Titanic was for the Belle Epoque? Youtube videos of tours of the biggest, most luxurious cruise ships, at least for me now, don't invoke a disgust at their vulgarity or claustrophobia, but rather leave an impression of comfort (and perhaps already nostalgia for a lost phenomenon), even compared to regular living quarters of a lot of people on land (and in shanty towns in the Third World), their already online-focused lives, let alone now in lockdown.

The rapid spread of disease can occur on any ship (eg also military vessels) or big communal spaces on land (work places, nursing homes), so this can't be tied inherently to cruise ships.

Cruise ships do not necessarily provide only entertainment or playgrounds for kids, but can easily be structured/booked for serious events, like academic conferences (usually there is a large theatre/hall with hundreds of seats), and communist university sessions/conferences as well, even without requiring much rebuilding.

When cruise ships are out in international waters, they are - in a simple sense - floating international communes. Perhaps this "free-floating" nature gives mutinies (struggles for freedom) more easy intitiave on ships than on land? (Battleship Potemkin, the Aurora cruiser, the Petropavlovsk warship). Yet, a ship must refuel or dock eventualy. (though some plants can be grown on a ship)

There is the story of Noah's Arc (in the end-times movie 2012, a tiny percentage of mankind finds recue on a huge ship, built by China). Moreover, the building of a ship is compared to the struggle/construction of communism, in the famous score of a great Soviet 1970s film. Here are the lyrics (written by Natalia Konchalovskaya):

Quote:
A great boat our grandfather
decided to build for his grandchildren,
Built all his life!
But our grandfather didn’t finish it -
Left to our father.
We were waiting for this boat -
But we awaited.

Our father’s big boat
decided to finish building for the grandchildren,
Built all his life!
Dreamed, my friend, then on that boat