The fire at Notre-Dame de Paris: capitalism is incapable of preserving the heritage of humanity!

1 post / 0 new
jk1921
The fire at Notre-Dame de Paris: capitalism is incapable of preserving the heritage of humanity!
Printer-friendly version

Interesting piece that cuts against the grain of much of woke sensibility that would likely assert there is no common "heritage of humanity," and that most of history up to about ten minutes ago is really only the story of oppression and misery, the memorialization of which in architectural, artisitc, etc. artifacts is itself a continuation of the injuries inflicted in the past.

But what of the more serious objections raised among the Yellow Vests about the immediate vow to rebuild to the tune of billions of Euros, when the nation is in the midst of protests over rising income inequality and attacks on the working class? Surely, there is a certain nihlist instinct here regarding  auniversal history as well, but also a more class based reaction to the evident privilege of the elite to preserve and rebuild a heritage it obviously considers its own, while the rest of us are told to eat cake.

As far as Trump being an idiot for not understanding what water bombing would do to a structure on fire, that seems a little gratuitous. It sounded like a good idea to me when we said it, but then I am no fire safety engineer and neither is he. It seems to me this comment reflects less about the man's intelligence and more about his apparent willingness to say whatever pops into his head on just about anything, without waiting for expert opinion to weigh in, which is likely a political tactic and an element of his populist appeal.