Midlands Discussion Forum Presents an Afternoon of Discussion on Class and Class Composition

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Theft
Midlands Discussion Forum Presents an Afternoon of Discussion on Class and Class Composition
Printer-friendly version

Midlands Discussion Forum presents an afternoon of discussion on Class and Class Composition which will start with a presentation by a member Leicester Anarchist Federation.

In Sheffield on the 10th of May from 2pm till 6pm at the Rutland Arms, 86 Brown St, Sheffield, S1 2BS. Which is 5 minutes walk away from both the train and bus station.

https://www.freecommunism.org/midlands-discussion-forum-presents-an-afte...

Redacted
Can't wait for the audio!

Can't wait for the audio!

Theft
Yes I will record the meeting

Yes I will record the meeting :)

radicalchains
Was the last one recorded?

Was the last one recorded?

Theft
I'm sure it wasn't as I've

I'm sure it wasn't as I've been doing the recordings for the last few meeting and I couldn't make it due to work commitments.

From Link "the discussion was not so much about the war but we started off with conditions that led to war and revolution afterwards and then went onto understanding the ideas of decadence and the formal/real domination of capital"

Fred
I can't open the link, Theft,

I can't open the link, Theft, perhaps because it's called "free communism" and mentions the:dread word.  I wanted to find out what "free" communism was and what its opposite might be.  But I guess its another daft bit of anarchist  ideology, whereby any communism that's been thought about, and methods for the attaining of which have been discussed and related to the history of the class in struggle, comes to be regarded as "unfree":  that is to say "shackled by thoughtful and serious consideration" as opposed to the freedom of spontaneity and cockups.  As to an afternoon spent discussing "class" and "class composition" ...sounds pretty deadly to me.  Does it mean that the Anarchist Federation thinks that the idea of "class" is suspect but anyway that if it existed we wouldn't truly know who was in it and who was out?  Do they think, as comrades on this forum sometimes  say, that the working class has metamorphosed into something else of a precarious and possibly unidentifiable nature?  Oh well. To find out we'll have to go to the meeting I suppose. Or perhaps Theft will kindly provide a written summary as well as an audio on this forum?  Hope so! 

Theft
Fred I don't know why you

Fred I don't know why you can't open the link, but maybe you shouldn't be so quick at jumping to assumptions though, for one the website isn't an anarchist site for a start, however both the site and the paper I produce does attempt to bridge the gaps a little and has included left communist, councilist and anarchist stuff in it.

Quote:

About

The Free Communist paper puts forward a revolutionary internationalist perspective and is anti-statist in outlook. What this means in practice is that we are against all forms of nationalism including the leftist notions that nations have a right to self-determination and so-called ‘national liberation’. We also oppose all forms of parliamentarianism and do not see the unions as vehicle for either change or to defend our immediate interests. In contrast we put forward the idea of self-organisation of the class struggle, workers directly controlling there own struggles through “mass meetings” and assemblies free from union control. We draws our inspiration from the best traditions of both Dutch/German and Italian left communists as well as anarchist-communism, but doesn’t hold to one camp or the other.

The views expressed in paper and on the website are not necessary the views of the Free Communist.

As for the meeting, I tend to wait and listen to what someone says before making judgements on them, but yes I will post the recording of the discussion.

Theft
Updated OP, this is now on

Updated OP, this is now on the 10th of May in Sheffield. 

Theft
Audio from this meeting is

Audio from this meeting is now available 

https://youtu.be/4o8ijsKi3i8

Alf
thanks

thanks theft, i will try to find time to listen to it....and hopefully others will as well.