How the United States talk to their "ally" the Pakistan

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tagore2
How the United States talk to their "ally" the Pakistan
Printer-friendly version

it's a bit old, but I discovered this only now.

Interesting, isn't it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-lewis/exclusive-cia-phone-tap-o_b_30038.html

jk1921
That's an attempt at a joke.

That's an attempt at a joke.

Tagore2
You think this is an hoax?

This is possible.

On Wikipedia, one can read:

"Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, in an interview with CBS News 60 Minutes on September 21, 2006, alleged that Armitage called an Inter-Services Intelligence general immediately after the September 11, 2001 attacks and threatened to "bomb the country [Pakistan] back to the stone age" unless they supported the U.S.-led fight against Islamic terrorism."

Someone can find this interview?

Tagore2
Source

Quote:

"The Director of Intelligence told me that he said, 'Be prepared to be bombed.' Be prepared to go back to the Stone Age," Musharraf remembers.

What was his reaction?

"One has to think and take action in the interest of the nation and that's what I did," the president explains, adding that he thought it was a "very rude remark."

Armitage disputes the exact language, but doesn't deny that the message was strong. Musharraf says he believes his director of intelligence and says he took it as a threat.

"It was a threat, certainly," Musharraf says. "I took it that the United States, after having whatever happened to the World Trade Center, would be a wounded country – a wounded sole superpower and they are going to do anything to counter and to punish the perpetrators. Now, if we stand in the way of that, we are going to suffer."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/musharraf-in-the-line-of-fire/

Additional checks should be done to be absolutely sure, but as is it seems to me credible.

jk1921
Possible

Tagore2 wrote:

This is possible.

On Wikipedia, one can read:

"Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, in an interview with CBS News 60 Minutes on September 21, 2006, alleged that Armitage called an Inter-Services Intelligence general immediately after the September 11, 2001 attacks and threatened to "bomb the country [Pakistan] back to the stone age" unless they supported the U.S.-led fight against Islamic terrorism."

Someone can find this interview?

It may very well have happened, but the thing you linked to originally is a humorist's imagination of the conversation--I think.

Tagore2
You are certainly right

You are certainly right.

I read this quote in an article of the WSWS:

Quote:

“If you’re against us, we’re gonna bomb your little tinpot country back into the stone age—capiche?”

Fifteen years of the war in Afghanistan

It seemed to me odd, so I wanted to check the source.

I found the blog note.

But yesterday, I realized that it was the only original source of this "conversation".

In addition, there are no details on how that conversation would be leaked.

Since I do not speak well English, it's harder for me to detect the humor in a text. But at the rereading it appears to me more obvious.

Always check your sources, and check twice when they are in a foreign language.

Musharraf's interview is probably true by cons, although I have not seen it, I read the text below.