New Left Communist forum

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
slothjabber
New Left Communist forum
Printer-friendly version

What is the Left Communist Network forum?

The Left Communist Network forum was originally created in January 2013 to be a forum where sympathisers of the Communist Left could meet and discuss. At present, the membership is exclusively composed of those who are outside of formal organisations of the Communist Left. The original invitations were sent out to some contacts of the 'founders' of the network. These contacts then sent out invitations of their own. The initial coming together of the 20-or-so members was expected to be a short-term phenomenon, before a public announcement of the formation of the network, and a general invitation to unaligned Left Communists to participate. However, it was suggested from the very first that the forum membership could later be expanded to include those in organisations. A mechanism for this was never worked out.

Different participants in the early days had different ideas about how the network could develop. Some saw it as only a discussion site; some wanted the network to become involved in a co-operative publishing venture; some wanted to use it as the basis for further regroupment of revolutionaries. None of these perspectives have happened over the last 9-10 months. There has been little discussion; there has been no concrete move towards setting up a publishing venture; no 'organising of the un-organised' has taken place. The network never moved beyond the point of a small group talking about talks. The forum, intended as a way to organise discussions for the 'opening out' of the network, never generated the discussion necessary to move any further. What there is, is a small group of sympathisers of the Communist Left, and a forum.

The active membership of the forum has now decided that it really is time to make the existence of the forum 'public'. Nearly 5 years ago, a 'Left Communist internet forum' was proposed by ex-members of the CBG, for the sharing of information and to aid discussion between supporters of different organisations. There may have been other proposals of a similar nature about which we are not aware; but certainly it was proposed then. The Left Communist Network forum could fulfil that role. To that end, we're making the forum public, and inviting all Left Communists, both inside and outside organisations, to join it.

We see the forum as being one for fraternal discussion. We hope all comrades from whatever background or organisation will see this as a useful goal and take part in a constructive fashion. While serious disagreements will inevitably arise, disruptive or abusive behaviour - however it might be excused politically - will not be tolerated.

http://leftcommunistnetwork.freeforums.org/index.php

8th November 2013

Fred
I tried to join three times,

I tried to join three times, but didn't make the grade.  The bit where you have to copy some words to show you're not a robot  got me. (Perhaps I am a Robot? Never thought of that.)  The last time I diligently copied out 6 different words but was just given yet another like a never ending game,  so gave up. Any advice? 

Theft
I know this is stating the

I know this is stating the obvious but make sure you add the space between the words and everything is case sensitive. Oh make sure the required stuff is filled in.

Full Name*

Gender*

Birthdate*

slothjabber
unknown problems

Sorry Fred, I don't know what the problem is, but you're not the first to say that there's a problem with the registration.

Apologies to anyone else who can't register. If you can send me a private message I'll see if we can sort things out.

EDIT:

I have just found this on the Forum Support pages:

"Hello,
This is most likely down to one of three things. The username or e-mail address they are trying to register with or the IP address they are registering from.
Usually it is either the e-mail, so if they use a different e-mail address at registration (one they have access to of course) do they have any further luck? If they are using a username such as "fred", a very simple username that is, I'd suggest them registering with one different and you could always change it back for them if it turns out that the username is being blocked by the spam filters."

That might be the problem, Fred. As the only other user that's so far reported this problem is Jock from the CWO (another simple user name) it may be that the forum software thinks that you're a risk.

Fred
happiness

I am delighted to be associated with Jock, and will try again. Thank you slothjabber. 

slothjabber
Possible registration solution

If anyone else has a problem registering, please can they contact me by email or private message, and I'll try to register you manually.

slothjabber
Left Communist Network forum closed

The Left Communist Network has ceased operation. It failed in its primary purpose to be a place where Left Communists could discuss, that was not in itself controlled by one of the existing organisations. The traffic on the forum remained low and in December the forum was permanently deleted by the hosting company due to inactivity.

Redacted
Are there any larger points

Are there any larger points to be drawn from this? Wondering what it says about the milieu if anything.

lem_
I started a thread... I think

I started a thread... I think we should learn from thhe libcom model hahaha.

slothjabber
Larger points

Jamal wrote:

Are there any larger points to be drawn from this? Wondering what it says about the milieu if anything.

I think there are certainly reasons for its failure, but I'm not sure if it tells us much that we didn't know before.

The milieu is fractured and very small. There were never more than about 55 members of the forum, some of whom weren't Left Communists (not that that mattered, it was never spammed by people of other political persuasions). In the begining the idea was to provide a space for those who identified with the communist left as a current but not with any particular organisation. But even after we opened the group up to members of organisations, it never really acheived sufficient mass to become self-sustaining.

A particular effort to set up a space for communication failed - one which, in its initial stages, people seemed enthusiastic for, but which failed to deliver much. I'm not sure there are any important lessons to be learned. No doubt other such moves will be attempted in the future. I hope that some will be successful, but probably others will fail too.

Redacted
I have a hard time believing

I have a hard time believing there are more than 50 left communist worldwide making useful contributions and interventions.

For obvious reasons, we don't "recruit", but by no means should that cover up the reality of what slothjabber calls a "fractured and very small" milieu. Very, very small. And shrinking.

lem_
I'm still here heh

Jamal wrote:

I have a hard time believing there are more than 50 left communist worldwide making useful contributions and interventions.

For obvious reasons, we don't "recruit", but by no means should that cover up the reality of what slothjabber calls a "fractured and very small" milieu. Very, very small. And shrinking.

This is really what I meant about focusing on education over militancy.

Not just cos there's no need to say infilitrate a place of work when you can just dial up broadband. But cos, like you say, there needs to be a game changing event pretty soon or the party/ies will just be spectators. We can wait for that to happen, and pray it will, or we can start thinking about what aspects of the party/ies aren't going to function, in time, as we would hope.