Sylvia Pankhurst film

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
radicalchains
Sylvia Pankhurst film
Printer-friendly version
Alf
interesting

I checked out the trailer and decided to buy it. I'll let you know what i think. Thanks for letting us know. 

Android
I went to see a showing of a

I went to see a showing of a documentary/film on Pankhurst before christmas.  I assume this is it.  

A substantial focus of the film was on Pankhurst's activity as a feminist and suffragette militant, with quite a liberal orientation.  Albeit not uninteresting as it shows her split with her family with her choice to organise amongst working-class women in London.  

Her period as a communist was brushed I felt if I remember correctly.  

Alf
Alf

no great surprise to hear that....I went to a Pankhurst memorial in Woodford a few years back, attended by her son, the Ethiopian ambassador, Germaine Greer and others, and it was a a similar story. Obviously one or two of us did of course remind the gathering of the more uncomfortable phase she went through...https://en.internationalism.org/wr/307/hands-off-sylvia.

jk1921
There seems to have been a

There seems to have been a common trajectory for some of the main female figures of left communism: Both Pankhurst and Roland-Holst ended up converting to a form of Christianity, while Kollantai reconciled with the Stalinist state. What is the connection, if any, here?

radicalchains
It's a shame to hear that

It's a shame to hear that Android, the trailer was quite encouraging. Just out of interest Alf did you go to the memorial as the ICC or in a more informal capacity? For instance did you introduce yourself as a member of a communist org and if so what was the reception. And was there any interest apart from when you 'intervened' (in your views on Sylvia or communism)?

Alf
Pankhurst memorial

I went with Mark Hayes who wrote the book on the British communist left plus a couple of members of my family, so it was kind a of a mixture of formal and informal. But we made it clear that we were interested in the left communist Sylvia and tried to explain why she had been such an important figure for the post-68 generation of revolutionaries who were against the Labour Party and the trade unions. I also had a bit of a polemic with Germaine Greer over the idea that Sylvia (in her 'good' days at least) would have been impressed with Castro's Cuba. MH presented Richard Pankhurst with a copy of his book.  I would say that we created a minor stir but the overall mood of the meeting (which was pretty large - over a hundred people) was towards keeping everything cosy. 

Android
Disclaimer

radicalchains wrote:
It's a shame to hear that Android

I did not watch the trailer, so can't be sure if it is the same documentary/film. But I doubt there has two films made recently on this subject.  

radicalchains
I imagine it is the same film

I imagine it is the same film Android. What was especially encouraging was the line about the Labour Party being the reason for there not being a revolution in Britain. But perhaps the film does not expand on that theme by the sounds of things.

Thanks for the insight Alf! I just had a look through some quotes of Greer's and they mainly seem to be about the failings of men but not in a context of the world we live in or any historical sense. However, I did find this one which hints at something more exciting.

"I didn't fight to get women out from behind vacuum cleaners to get them onto the board of Hoover."

Alf
Greer

Yeah, Greer wasn't all bad