Visteon: Solidarity is the only way for workers to defend themselves

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
radicalchains
Visteon: Solidarity is the only way for workers to defend themselves
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Visteon: Solidarity is the only way for workers to defend themselves. The discussion was initiated by radicalchains.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

radicalchains
Visteon

I was listening to a South African Marxist-Leninist (Stalinist) and he said this when asked about Trotskyists as an example:

Workers' go on strike, (Trotskyists say) "occupy the factory!" knowing it's like suicide. Workers' are not prepared to organise, to occupy. The struggle hasn't reached that level. That's a typical thing. Once the level reaches a point where we have to occupy the factories I can gurantee what the Trotskyites will say:"Don't occupy the factory".

It got me thinking about the Visteon occupation that happened a while back. Obviously when he says "prepared" that doesn't mean incapable as has been proved by many workers' occupying where they work but is there a grain of truth to what he is saying? My interpretation therefore is that the workers should have demanded solely the continuation of work at the factory and through this sought solidarity and the spreading of action/struggle throughout the class. Rather than the emphasis on redundancy pay which may have been what the workers' wanted/needed but ultimately confined the struggle. Am I being unrealistic or trying to put an erroneous perspective on a situation I wasn't involved in etc