Public meeting in Budapest

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
radicalchains
Public meeting in Budapest
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Public meeting in Budapest. The discussion was initiated by radicalchains.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

radicalchains
Volunteers in a professional army?

"We also pointed out that these days, in the world's main armies, the soldiers are not workers in uniform conscripted for war (as was the case during World War I), but essentially volunteers in a professional army. As a result, the aim of the forces of repression is to maintain the capitalist social order. Even if soldiers and policemen are wage-earners, they are not members of the working class: their labour power is put at the service of capital against the working class."

I think I read something similar in your Communist Organisations & Class Consciousness but couldn't find the passage again. It may be true what you say about soldiers but aren't the vast majority of soldiers still 'economic conscripts'? That is they are virtually forced to join their respective militaries as either there is little or no other employment. This has certainly been the case for parts of Britain in the last decades. Either that or the mine in some cases? Yes they are volunteers but not exactly voluntarily, I mean if they had other options perhaps they wouldn't sign up? Please can you clarify this or develop the point if possible.