Art in decadence

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Marin Jensen
Art in decadence
Printer-friendly version

I thought I would kick off another thread to discuss the subject, with a more appropriate title than the "Stonehenge bouncy castle". Though my initial thought is not so much about decadence.

I wonder whether one should not make a separation between music and other art forms? I don't know if anybody has read Daniel Levitin's book "Your brain on music", but he makes the interesting point that music actually involves every part of the brain in a way that no other activity does, including the part of the brain that controls movement. This suggests that music is perhaps goes much deeper than other art forms, which necessarily must be learned.

Could this mean that music is somehow less prone to "corruption" by decadence?

For those who are interested, here is a programme on Levitin's ideas including interviews and brain scans on various musicians. A bit sensationalist, but interesting nonetheless.

radicalchains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-w7LjSNi4

Martin Hannett talking about music production, the last 30 or so seconds sum it up nicely.

Demogorgon
"that music actually involves

"that music actually involves every part of the brain in a way that no other activity does"

It's wonderful when you can disprove such statements so easily.This example of music involves no part of the brain whatsoever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7E6yyUNVo

Alf
Buffy the proletarian hero

On Buffy the anarcho-syndicalist vs vampire capitalists who are actually vampires

Art work: original or 'detourned' situationist -style from a previous comic ? It's all left ironically ambiguous.

Hero proletarian undercover kung fu masters, or do they have a real problem with substitutionism? It's all left ironically ambiguous.

So there you have it. 

Alf
sorry wrong thread

Sorry, this is the serious thread. Not that the other one isn't of course. 

ernie
Brain and music

I have been looking at the Brain on Music book for some time in the local library: I shall now have to read it. There is something about music that is so fundamental. Watch young children when music is playing. It is also found throughout the world. It is a collective process as well. How decadence impacts on this, is an important question. The way that the state has taken over culture must play an important role.

Hawkeye
Brain and music

Yes, Ernie does well to commend the advantage of music to young children. In Hungary it was (and I hope, still is) normal for children to have music every day in schools.  As to  'the way that the state has taken over culture', of course in these days of modern decadence the media tends to dominate, but there has always been a contrast of class influences on music, for instance the pomp and circumstance of nationalist music as compared with the jazz and blues born of slavery.  The vitality of Gypsy music crosses frontiers too, as does so much internationalist blending of influences, as in and from Brazil. Cheers.