is the goal of workplace struggle

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem_
is the goal of workplace struggle
Printer-friendly version

to destroy the workplace?

obviously with basic sense of what's not right etc.

thanks for your advice :-)

LEM_

Alf
Initially it is to defend the

Initially it is to defend the material interests of the workers; but this can only be done effectively by going beyond the individual workplace and linking up with other workers, the unemployed, etc. In a revolutionary situation the workplace can be a focus for self-organisation through assemblies, but there again there will be a push to bring in and reach out to other proletarians and avoid any 'workplace patriotism'. As we head towards communist society, the individual workplace will more and more give way to new forms of general social production. In that sense, the 'workplace will be destroyed'.

Does this help?

lem_
yes, i'm sorry - i was being

yes, i'm sorry - i was being part facetious, and part defeatist :-/

edit actually there were two MORe serious points.

1. is the first stage of that something like workplace "anarchy"

2. if i set that as my goal, is that - counterproductive [bearing in my, that is, i can't see me joining any party rn :)  ]

lem_
i feel a bit weird / foolish

i feel a bit weird / foolish cos of this thread now...

people are still angry about stuff, maybe part of the reason they're not turning to Communism is that the bourgeoise is less visible? bankers are workes etc.?

it's difficult to fight capitalism without an explicit enemy - i came to taking struggle seriously because a union thing seemed to be an enemy... i dunno.

Fred
Its difficult to fight

Its difficult to fight capitalism without an explicit enemy, says lem!  One problem today is that the world is so absolutely crawling with enemies its difficult to know where to start fighting.

So how about starting with a fight on the work shop floor?  Tell the boss you want more money!  You'll probably get sacked. After all people are queuing up looking for jobs, even though the average wage is now lower than inflation.  So really it's almost a waste of time having  a job at all.  But with people looking for jobs its easy for the boss to get rid of you like a used tissue.  So you could come back late at night and set the place on fire. This will destroy the work place and put all your mates  out of a job too.   Not a great achievement.  Added to which the police will get you, and beat you up.  A judge will finish the job by sentencing you to years in prison for arson. And god knows what'll happen to you while locked up. You could easily be destroyed. 

Alternatively you could do what Alf suggests by "going beyond the individual workplace and linking up with other workers, the unemployed etc..."  This is easier said than done however.  First you would have to know what kind of thing to say to other workers to get them on your side and risk their own jobs. And would have to be a talented organizer in your own right, with boundless energy and enthusiasm.   Perhaps as we approach the situation where workers feel more and more they have nothing left to lose, this will  be easier.  

So what does it mean "to get the workers on your side"? Or how are workers brought to understand that there aren't myriads of different "enemies" but just one,  capitalism, which spawns all the others?  By magic?  By starting struggles?  (Why dont workers struggle anymore in the West?)  Via the unseen development of class consciousness?  Through anarchism, as lem suggests?  (But we began with anarchism at the start of this post when somebody  burned down the workplace, and that went nowhere.) By setting up work place discussion groups?  (I don't think workers fancy that. ) By the return of mass strikes?  (Will this ever happen again?)  Through "self organization"?  Ah! The magic of self organization!  Self motivation and self organization are the magic keys to all treasures. But where do they come from and how do we conjure  them up?  That's the big issue isn't it?  

If we actually had a communist party in existence,  then the knowledge that an alternative to capitalism is possible might just have the smallest most minuscule chance of being  known to some workers somewhere, and could be built on.  Maybe.