the price or value of death

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem_
the price or value of death
Printer-friendly version

first off sorry for the slightl crazy question; maybe the admin could merge my various "crazy question" threads - if they wanted to?

anyway, do you think that capitalism has always placed a value on human life? obviously an individual's life can have a price, and that's always been so. but i wondered whether capital has become more sadistic, if death in the abstract - the death of no-one in particular -  can be bought and sold and be a part of the economy and efforts to prolong capitalism.

i don't necessarily mean that death could have a +ve value. perhaps e.g. that ideology about the universal right or value to life has become ascendent. i mean that itself would probably be a good thing - if not for the fact that what capitalism gives it can take away?

i am just trying to work out what it means to me that i will die. thanks for any replies, and sorry for the randomness.

EDIT according to my not exactly fool proof thinking - the ruin of the bourgeois that i believe is a contemporary event, has determined the nature of barbarism or the collapse of the working class... capitalism will become more and more deadly [literally; or metaphorically] until the working class has all life strangled out of it.

lem_
We the co-signed consider the

We the co-signed consider the bourgeoisie to be now ruined; a pyrrhic victory of immense significance for the working classes. Now the economy is truly globalized and capital cannot act in national interest, capitalism can only prolong its barbarous misery and divide the working class along national lines through social crisis. Our lives under capitalism have been given their highest liberal expression – labour power in itself, in the abstract, the life of any labourer, has an exchange value. But any freedom granted by capital, however disfigured, can likewise be undone. The ruin of the proletariat is in sight: capitalism will become more and more deadly (literally, or metaphorically) until the working class has all life strangled out of it.

We make this claim because we think the internet has eroded a specific form of alienation: we workers are now so free to interact that existential thinking is not just philosophy but opened up even to those whose psychological needs are compromised. Suddenly, the inauthentic expectation of our own death has currency – personal survival has shifted into the topic of idle thought. The last man is upon us!

My own death cannot be a harm to me, and so the so called “last man”, being das man, has can finally discover the price or value of life and death – of the fact that one dies, anyway. But if Deleuze is right that the last man does not return in the eternal return of the same, the promise of art and the existence of the superman is reignited. Because that promise, is now a guarantee – that the universal value of our deaths will collapse. Be that the collapse of civilization itself, or the rupture of communism.

Perhaps the new art will be rhizomatic; but now there is no going back for the working class, segments (“school says you're not at home anymore”) are the only way a plane of consistency can appear.

Onward - to becoming a great poet ;--D  !