what makes a communist under late capitalism (aside from struggle)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem_
what makes a communist under late capitalism (aside from struggle)
Printer-friendly version

is this question relevant?

to me: pesimissm about capitalism; optmism about people; and the intelligence to think critically about history.

is this relevant? i mean, nazis (i think?) are targetting people who like street violence...

Fred
pessimism

Isn't just about everyone pessimistic about capitalism, except the ruling class?  Even when it works its a pain in the arse.  Optimism about people?  Can't answer that. It's too difficult!  Ability to think critically about history. Jesus lem!  Who d'you think we are?  What d''you mean by history?  What'd 'you mean by "think critically"?   Its difficult enough  to get through the days as they are  without being expected to think as well.  And I don't understand what "think critically" means anymore. I thought I did once. But realize I was just all mixed up as usual. Unless you mean by think critically, dislike everything as it is; feel angry and resentful all the time; wish everything was different; dread what might happen tomorrow; wake up in the morning sometimes feeling very scared and uneasy and don't know why - the worst part about being uneasy is not knowing why, that's what's scary; and keep wondering when the working class is going to stand up and start fighting, but have a horrible feeling that maybe it never will. Somehow it seems too late. The odds  are all stacked high up against us. Unless we rise up in a huge mass uprising everywhere at once, they're going to kill  us if we  move. It'll be easy for them. They'll say they've got to do it to save the civilized world and the planet and women and children. The usual lies. The nazis will love it! It's what they're waiting for, though some of them have already started like in Eastern Ukraine.  Putin will help them.  The Europeans will set up some daft restrictions on the movement of selected Russian Oligarchs and Putin will turn off the gas.  Who  knows what'll  happen after that?  The world's loonies will all reach for their guns and start shooting.  They've been waiting for this for years now.  Everybody in the USA  has three guns. In the absence of a decent life which nobody has now under capitalism, except the bourgeoisie, and theirs is all phony, the only justification for going on living at all left now for some folk is out-and-out violence.  They can't wait. Its the only way to release the tension. Like poor old Oscar Pistorius.  You reach breaking  point don't you?  

Sorry to be such a miserable sod lem, but you did ask didn't you?  But maybe its all the stuff above, and some other things, which make a communist.  When he was a boy Lenin's older brother was hanged for shooting the Czar.  I suppose we all arrive at a breaking point at some time or other. 

lem_
wel i'm not going to change

wel i'm not going to change hiistory. i just tried lol.

anyway,,, no need to be defeatist really. if the worst comes to the worst, "be" an anarchist or something haha

Fred
butterflies and caterpillars

Hi lem, isn't being an anarchist pretty much the same as being defeatist? Aren't their ideas so confused  as to be an equivalent to defeatism?  If the revolution started next week wouldn't the anarchists just bugger it all up with all their contradictions and nihilism, and not wanting any organization, or any rules, and insisting that everyone was free to say and do  whatever they liked, and that one witty comment carried just the same weight as suggestions as to how we should move forward?  Aren't they a bit like idealists and believe that if you think we've got communism, or will get it tomorrow...well that's really all you have to do. Thinking it is really all that's needed to get it?  Just rub your Aladdin's lamp, or anything else that's rubable, and hey presto  and lo and behold, here it comes! 

I think that what makes a communist is essentially what makes the difference between a communist and an anarchist.  That is to say, a communist sees the need for the organization of comrades around a platform of organized ideas, which ideas are the gains made by the working class since 1848 and organized Into a coherent form that people can discuss, debate and agree with or not. Most anarchists wouldn't really like this - though the ICC says that some do. Birov for example. 

Commitment to communism requires a person to abandon the bourgeois idea of the essential and eternal significance of individuality and to understand instead the power of solidarity and the gains for consciousness that accrue and develop as the carapace of bourgeois individuality, ideology  and other bourgeois modes of thought are thrown off and the magnificent butterfly emerges from the chrysalis.  Not that I am suggesting that communists have the fragility and brief existence of the butterfly, but rather that the new society of communism will have the dazzling array and freedom to fly of the butterfly rather than the grubbiness of the bourgeois caterpillar ravaging the cabbage patch. 

lem_
Fred, if there's no hope that

Fred, if there's no hope that anarchism is an attractive option.

moreover, they would only harm a potential communist revolution, depending on OTHER factors. anarchism isn't the counter revolution...

Marin Jensen
What's thinking critically?

Fred wrote:

What'd 'you mean by "think critically"?   Its difficult enough  to get through the days as they are  without being expected to think as well.  And I don't understand what "think critically" means anymore. I thought I did once. But realize I was just all mixed up as usual. Unless you mean by think critically, dislike everything as it is; feel angry and resentful all the time; wish everything was different; dread what might happen tomorrow; wake up in the morning sometimes feeling very scared and uneasy and don't know why - the worst part about being uneasy is not knowing why, that's what's scary; and keep wondering when the working class is going to stand up and start fighting, but have a horrible feeling that maybe it never will. 

"Think critically" - perhaps a better expression would be "think radically", and that means thinking that gets to the root of things, that refuses to be content with surface appearance. 

"Dislike everything as it is" is not much good unless you can understand why it is as it is, and how it could be different, and what is necessary to make it different. Otherwise it's just a recipe for terminal despair...

Fred
Hi LoneLondoner. "Disliking

Hi LoneLondoner. "Disliking everything as it is" may well be the result of merely thinking critically.  Only thinking radically is able to move forward and posit a way out.  You're quite right to point this out.  But in my post I was deliberately expressing pessimism as I felt it.  Self indulgence I suppose?  But perhaps  I shouldn't. Not on this web site?  Although it did afford you the opportunity to reject terminal despair. And that is worthwhile, isn't it?  

Marin Jensen
Express away, old mole - where there's life there's hope

Fred wrote:

But in my post I was deliberately expressing pessimism as I felt it.  Self indulgence I suppose?  But perhaps  I shouldn't. Not on this web site?  Although it did afford you the opportunity to reject terminal despair. And that is worthwhile, isn't it?  

Anyone who doesn't suffer moments of pessimism in today's world is either blind or emotionally dead, it seems to me. If this forum can allow those who have, and want to represent, a hope for the future, to struggle together against pessimism by thinking radically, then it has achieved in part at least, its objective.

lem_
well i know when i say

well i know when i see someone say "god hates fags" that they are thinking, and are thinking radically, and i don't blame them for not being a communist, i dislike them for beting nasty and small / mean, and uncritically accepting what they are told. i don't think philosophy has to be entrenched away from the everyday, and i can offer more scholarly / cribbed ideas on what i mean by critical, even if any attempt to do critical science on my part would be botched.

lem_
noise "concrete" poem ??!

ha

so, what if the future struggle was based around a kind of cyber dystopia, of webtests [like drug tests] that test the worker for their appeal, passiveness, etc.? it's easier and easier for work to encroach with the internet -- maybe :/ ?