in what way was marx ever reformist

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem_
in what way was marx ever reformist
Printer-friendly version

i was arguing on-line, on a paper

Quote:
marx and engels did change their ideas... in the direction of reformism, but the fact remains that a total working class conquest of power remained the ultimate goal

how was marx a reformist? 

i thought the term ("reformism") in the context of communism meant a group who advocated for reform being the most important ingredient for revolution, but perhaps i was wrong ?

how was the term used in the zimmerwald conference? was it used for marxists (seeking the overthrow of the whole social structure) who thought that this had to be pretty gradual?

lem_
i read this thread,

i read this thread, especially Alf's replies.

it's not totally clear what the difference is between the "sectarianism" of the SPGB and their refusal of defensive struggles, and the role of reforms in making revolution. i.e. just how essential or "important" an ingredient they are.

i also read this

Quote:
the development of the ideologies of reformism - the limitation of the workers’ party to the immediate defence and improvement of proletarian living conditions - and of gradualism, the notion that capitalism could be abolished through an entirely peaceful process of social evolution. On the other hand, the reaction against this reformist threat by certain revolutionary currents was a retreat into sectarian or utopian misconceptions which saw little or no connection between the defensive struggle of the working class and its ultimate revolutionary aims.

which clearly differentiated reformism from what it called "gradualism".

i suppose i've glossed the two terms a little, though i don't know if how i used the term "reformism" has any currency. i.e. i thought that the "peaceful process of social evolution", was necessarily also reformist. i'm not sure if that gloss is reasonable, or not. is it?

on the one hand, i can't see how (kautsky's) gradualism could be seriously maintained, without inevitably becoming, as it fails at its goal, reformist.

on the other, i don't want to use the wrong god damn term