Pauperisation and association

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem_
Pauperisation and association
Printer-friendly version

Quote:
He becomes a pauper, and pauperism develops more rapidly than population and wealth. And here it becomes evident, that the bourgeoisie is unfit any longer to be the ruling class in society... The advance of industry, whose involuntary promoter is the bourgeoisie, replaces the isolation of the labourers, due to competition, by the revolutionary combination, due to association.

I was reading a couple of the articles on decadence.

MH's does a good job of differentiating its quantiative aspects, slowed growth etc., and qualitative aspects, of war and bureaucracy etc..

I wondered if anything more could be added to MH's article.

Is the qualitative aspect acting to isolate workers? i.e. preventing the association of labourers, which would inevtiably lead to revolution when combined with quantitative decadence -- the pauperisation of workers relative to technological progress?

I'm not saying that making that clear would convince the skeptic of "decadence", but it does suggest that whatever the moral virtues of capitalism priori to decadence, its concrete effects were more limited. Workers just are a lot more isolated since 1914 IMHO.

lem_
Does this fly in the face of

Does this fly in the face of current ideas ?

Any thoughts whatsoever :) ??

Alf
isolation and the present phase

One of the key elements in our characterisation of the present phase of decadence is precisely the exacerbation of something that has always been inherent in capitalist social relations: the war of each against all. This can be seen playing out at the level of rivalries between nations, between religious and ethnic groups, between gangs...but it also operates at the level of the individual who finds himself increasingly atomised in his or her daily life. And we can also see how, when it comes to the management of the workers, the ruling class consciously reinforces this atomisation, through such means as individual rather than collective contracts, through breaking up large industrial concentrations of workers and working class neighbourhoods and so on. 

lem_
Thanks for the good answer

Thanks for the good answer Alf.

I think this "atomisation" has been playing out, quite so, in my mental health even. I came to a conclusion, earlier, I mean tonight. That regardless of philosophical individualism etc., the search for individual meaning is just complete vanity. 

That in effect the whole history of extra-ethical thought, is there to convince people of there being a bigger more important narrative than the one to their own life (however empathic and responsive). And, at base, that this isn't something to be upset about, to feel worthless about, because that misses the point.