Trotskyite parties

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem_
Trotskyite parties
Printer-friendly version

I see (somewhat naively) that substitiutionism was Trotsky's term.

Is it a term that the ICC etc. use, and how might they critique its Trotskyite use?

May I also ask: is the difference with parties like the SWP more tactical than strategic? i.e. are the SWP confused communists, or something worse?

Alf
Substitutionism

We would say that that substitutionism is a disease of working class organisations, a result of the penetration of ruling class ideology into the ranks of the workers' movement. The bolsheviks increasingly fell into the error of ruling 'on behalf of' the workers as the revolution succumbed to isolation.

Trotskyism began as a working class current in the 20s and 30s but we don't think it survived as such, mainly because of its participation in the second world war. There were some minority elements who took up an internationalist position in 1939-45, but they were obliged to break with Trotskyism. So we don't think the SWP are confused communists, even though most of its members are certainly confused about the organisation they belong to. The SWP is part of the left wing of capitalism. As such they are not substitutionist - acting like boses is part of their nature.  

Hawkeye
Trotskyite parties

To find out more about Trotskyite parties, please visit website WSWS, which has two very recent articles on the influence of Trotsky himself, as well as a vast range of artices on all sorts of subjects.

There several parties other than those of the SEP in the UK and other SEPs ( each on WSWS)  abroad, but, except for the WRP, those do not have 6 days per week web news.

lem_
i'm curious why if alf is

i'm curious why if alf is right that they are a working class organisation, why anyone ought to study them; anymore than the labour party, or chavez

i don't want to sound lazy.

Alf
not?

Lem, did you mean to write "that they are not a working class organisation"?

lem_
um, yes of course, sorry !!

um, yes of course, sorry !!

EDIT no i mean of course i didn't

confusing sequence