man must prove the truth

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem_
man must prove the truth
Printer-friendly version

"Man must prove the truth, i.e., the reality and power, the this-sidedness [Diesseitigkeit] of his thinking, in practice"

I'm confused I think what it is that man must prove?

AND how important is Hegel to Marxism anyway? If Marxists misunderstand Hegel, does that make them wrong through and through :-) ?

LBird
Humanity

lem_ wrote:

"Man must prove the truth, i.e., the reality and power, the this-sidedness [Diesseitigkeit] of his thinking, in practice"

I'm confused I think what it is that man must prove?

AND how important is Hegel to Marxism anyway? If Marxists misunderstand Hegel, does that make them wrong through and through :-) ?

Since Marx was a 19th century thinker, it's best to rephrase his statement to:

"Humanity must prove the truth, i.e., the reality and power, the this-sidedness of its thinking, in practice".

In simple terms, he's saying the scientific method is, according to Communists, a 'theory and practice' which, being always social, must be 'democratic theory and practice'.

Thus, 'truth' is elected by humanity, by its creative social activity. Building houses and knowedge uses the same method.

Perhaps I should mention that Marx's use of 'man' and 'his' has led to a forgetting of his cultural context, and has been interpeted both as 'male' and 'individual', which it isn't.

Don't forget, either, that Marx was influenced by German Idealism as a whole, not just Hegel, so Kant must also be considered.

lem_
well humanity is composed of

well humanity is composed of individuals, though not in the sense we may be led to believe.

LBird
Commie not individualist

lem_ wrote:

well humanity is composed of individuals, though not in the sense we may be led to believe.

No, 'humanity' (real society, today) is composed of 'workers' and 'bosses', lem_.

I'm a Democratic Communist, and use class analysis to understand our world.

Only liberals use 'individuals' as a unit of analysis.

One can't understand Marx from a liberal perspective.

lem_
"Only liberals use

"Only liberals use 'individuals' as a unit of analysis."

oh no i don't think that's true.

individual workers e.g.. i find the word "bosses" patronising tbh.