Help required - Marx and 'unity of opposites'

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
LBird
Help required - Marx and 'unity of opposites'
Printer-friendly version

I'm currently reading Meszaros' Marx's Theory of Alienation, and on page 17 he mentions the phrase 'unity of opposites'.

Can any comrade point me to the text and page number where Marx employs this particular phrase?

I've tried a net search, but can't find a quote from Marx himself.

lem_
Quote:Mill resorts to this

Quote:
Mill resorts to this type of argument only when he is quite unable to find any other expedient.  But as a rule his method is quite different.  Where the economic relation—and therefore also the categories expressing it—includes contradictions, opposites, and likewise the unity of the opposites, he emphasises the aspect of the unity of the contradictions and denies the contradictions.  He transforms the unity of opposites into the direct identity of opposites.

google skills

LBird
The new search machine?

lem_ wrote:

Quote:
Mill resorts to this type of argument only when he is quite unable to find any other expedient.  But as a rule his method is quite different.  Where the economic relation—and therefore also the categories expressing it—includes contradictions, opposites, and likewise the unity of the opposites, he emphasises the aspect of the unity of the contradictions and denies the contradictions.  He transforms the unity of opposites into the direct identity of opposites.

googlem_ skills

Thanks very much for your help, lem_.

Especially your 'googlem_' skills!

lem_
I spend a lot of time

I spend a lot of time googling stuff. It was pretty easy; the phrase "Marx" and "oppsoites"; a google books bit included a phrase "the aspect of the unity of the contradictions"; I then googled that phrase and searched the economic manuscripts for "unity of opposites".

HTH :-)

Tagore2
Google command line

Hello,

Your Google command line is:

"unity of opposites site:marxists.org/archive/marx/"

It works with many other search engines.

The argument:

"site:yourwebsite.com/yourdirectory"

is VERY powerful for search work!

How to Search on Google: 31 Advanced Google Search Tips 

Duckduckgo is not bad with its "bang" !.