The birth of American democracy: "Tyranny is tyranny"

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
KT
The birth of American democracy: "Tyranny is tyranny"
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: The birth of American democracy: "Tyranny is tyranny". The discussion was initiated by KT.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

KT
History of Class Struggle in the US

I couldn’t find an obvious link to the first part of this series, published last spring. So here it is:

https://en.internationalism.org/worldrevolution/201303/6529/notes-early-class-struggle-america-part-i

It clarified much for me and I thought  it worth while reminding readers of it. This continuation is, IMO, of an equally high standard. The use of Lenin’s judgement at the conclusion is sublime.

This is just the latest in a series of in-depth articles published by the ICC that tend to go unnoticed, or arouse little immediate response but which I would argue are real contributions to understanding the history of our class and the national specificities it faces.

Comrades on these boards have already remarked on the quality of the article by Lars on the origins of WW1 and to this recent tour de force could be added the latest in the series looking at the history of the workers’ struggles in Africa, this current one on the history of class organisations in South Africa, the most ‘developed’ nation on the continent.

Back to the US and bravo to the author MH who’s not a member of the ICC but a sympathiser and regular contributor. Discussion forums are not the only fruit!

Fred
Unite or die.

So "persons of mean and vile condition" were on the loose in the N. American colonies in the later 18th century.  Workers, slaves, negroes and whites together in protest against the rich and destroying their property. The poor against the rich.  The poor being the persons of mean and vile condition.  

I like the concept "vile condition". Its plain straightforward speaking and gets to the point with no fuss. How many of us today who suffer under austerity caused by capitalist failure would be referred to by  The Sun newspaper, or the Guardian, New York Times,  or any tv news program,  as "persons of mean and vile condition?"  They wouldn't dare. They know its the truth and they're terrified of it leaking out and becoming common knowledge.

Yet we are aren't we? We're persons of mean and vile condition.   And it might be better all round if we say it out loud. Let's call a spade a spade.  Similarly with the battle of the poor against the rich.  Let's say it.  When they tell us today: "You're  scroungers; you're lazy; you live off benefits and expect free handouts, free healthcare and all the benefits of the nanny state and are scared of a decent day's work," and all the other ideological crap they vomit up in defense of their lunatic economic system.   Lets tell our ruling class:  "Yes, you're right. You're dying capitalist system has reduced us to the level of the poorest slaves in the world. Reduced us to persons of mean and vile condition. And what we long for now is the battle of the poor and downtrodden against the rich and powerful.  We long  for our revolution."   

MH wrote:
 The ruling class saw in these last struggles, not a protest against new taxes but “a War of Plunder, of general levelling and taking away the Distinction between rich and poor”, and feared they would lead to “an insurrection of the poor against the rich”.

It is our job now to carry out and put into practice the looming insights of our working class predecessors in the North  American  colonies -  and indeed elsewhere, as in the Civil Wars in England, and the struggles of Winstanley and the Diggers, whose story MH also chronicles on this web site - not just to take away the distinction between rich and poor, or for a general leveling, but for an insurrection of the poor against the rich and against the very system that sustains these tiresome worn out shackles.  Capitalism itself!