War and famine in the Horn of Africa

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
kinglear
War and famine in the Horn of Africa
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: War and famine in the Horn of Africa. The discussion was initiated by kinglear.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

kinglear
I sent this following

I sent this following paragraph to a friend.

"The faces of so many children in the cradle of humanity are cracked with heat, tormented by flies, bleeding and emaciated; or else they are marked with the scars of war, eyes empty yet full of hatred, a machine gun in their hands. Faces sculpted by decades of capitalist barbarism. Hundreds of thousands of years of evolution are being put into question by the survival of this utterly cynical system. We should be lucid about this: what is happening in Africa and in all countries ravaged by war and poverty is the future that capitalism is shaping for all of us. No government, no armed force or NGO can hold back the destructive dynamic dictated by the laws of profit and the interests of imperialism. In the central countries, galloping inflation and austerity packages announce where things are going. Only the overthrow of capitalism, the work of a majority seeking for authentic solidarity, can free humanity from the talons of his dying system."

He responded by saying:"extraordinarily powerful words, breathtaking..." and he's right. I think Maxine scored a hit.