From cardinals to commissars: bourgeois power and sexual abuse

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
From cardinals to commissars: bourgeois power and sexual abuse
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: From cardinals to commissars: bourgeois power and sexual abuse. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
Has anything been proven

Has anything been proven against this person? I am concerned by the way in which allegations of sexual abuse, sexual misconduct, etc. seem to carry a "guility until proven innocent" flavor to them. Its one thing when this is used as a weapon in intra-bourgeois conflicts (and the article is right to point out the sheer hypocrisy of the bourgeoise in its outrage, i.e. nobody seemed to really care all that much about Berlusconi's antics), but it is another when charges of sexual abuse are used to absolutely destroy the lives of working people.

I am not attempting to downplay sexual abuse --the problem is very real (as if this needed to be said), but the way in which this society treats the offenders can often be just as appaling as the abuse. In the U.S.,  the laws are so draconian as to often prohibit registered sex offenders from living just about anyhwere except under a freeway bridge--conditions which assure they get no treatment, no help, no counseling, no attempt to reintegrate into society and which--studies have shown--make them more likely to do it again. Of course, in some states an 18 year old having sex with a 17 year old can end up labeled a "sex offender" for life.

We should also be cognizant of how the bourgeois media has used the issue of child sexual abuse as a giant propaganda weapon mobilizing the population behind the repressive apparatus of the state. Shows like to "To Catch a Predator" and "Law and Order: Special Victims Unit" seem to paint a picture of a "predator" hiding around every corner waiting to snatch up your child for purposes of perverse self-gratification. Its almost like the "sexual predator" has replaced the hyper sexualized Black man as the greatest threat to polite societal values. Moreover, these shows often push the idea that sexual offenders can never be rehabilitated, something which the literature is far from clear on.

Once again, sexual abuse is a real problem, but capitalist society clearly uses the fear over this issue as a way of integrating the population behind the state, in a way (Foucauldian perhaps) in which workers often become agents in the reproduction of repressive power themselves. We need to develop a critique of this and other ways in which the state gets people to accept the repressive power of the captialist state as legitimate.

Fred
I find myself in complete

I find myself in complete agreement with everything you say in this excellent post jk. As you say "capitalist society clearly uses the fear over this issue as a way of integrating the population behind the state..." The self-repressive fear that this subject generates, along with the "guilty till proved innocent" aspect, along with the way in which even to want to discuss the subject can arouse suspicions that you may be "tainted" in some way yourself, and can even arouse self doubt about your own innocence even while knowing that in fact you are innocent under the law, makes this whole area of sexual abuse, especially involving children, one of the most unspeakable, unmentionable and horrific topics that capitalism has going for it as a fearful repressor of all humanity and as a way of preventing talk and open trust. As you suggest: it legitimizes self hate, and thus self repression.

jk1921
Thanks

Fred wrote:
I find myself in complete agreement with everything you say in this excellent post jk. As you say "capitalist society clearly uses the fear over this issue as a way of integrating the population behind the state..." The self-repressive fear that this subject generates, along with the "guilty till proved innocent" aspect, along with the way in which even to want to discuss the subject can arouse suspicions that you may be "tainted" in some way yourself, and can even arouse self doubt about your own innocence even while knowing that in fact you are innocent under the law, makes this whole area of sexual abuse, especially involving children, one of the most unspeakable, unmentionable and horrific topics that capitalism has going for it as a fearful repressor of all humanity and as a way of preventing talk and open trust. As you suggest: it legitimizes self hate, and thus self repression.

Thanks Fred, I had to think twice about making this post, even on this forum. It is an incredibly touchy subject that arouses fear in such a way that often seems to close down an honest debate.

commiegal
It was proved that comrade

It was proved that comrade delta did this yes - and even if it wasn't, (because all political organisations will have to deal with this type of issue) the main thing was that the whole leadership of the SWP colluded in covering it up whereas they expelled people for, among other things, having conversations on facebook and so on.

jk1921
What exactly?

commiegal wrote:

It was proved that comrade delta did this yes - and even if it wasn't, (because all political organisations will have to deal with this type of issue) the main thing was that the whole leadership of the SWP colluded in covering it up whereas they expelled people for, among other things, having conversations on facebook and so on.

What was he accused of doing and how was it proved? The details aren't clear here...