Persecution of Gypsies in France and Europe

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
Persecution of Gypsies in France and Europe
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Persecution of Gypsies in France and Europe. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
I could be wrong, but I think

I could be wrong, but I think the perferred title for the group under discussion is "Roma."

To add to the list: In Canada--the Conservative government has been waging a virtual campaign against immigrants since winning its majority government last year. It has already announced several high profile "busts" of supposedly fraudlent citizenship aplicants and has taken steps to revoke the citizenship of numerous people. It has also stepped up its deportation of failed refugee claimants, including American war deserters who fled to Canada to avoid being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, the Conservative government has been trumpeting its openess to LGBT refugees from Iran, Of course, this is the same government that has publicly voiced its opposition to gay marriage rights in the past. The hypocrisy of the bourgeoisie knows few boundaries.

Hawkeye
Persecution of Gypsies

The website  Roma-Daily-News  has a steady stream of news about Gypsies across Europe and further afield.  It is a yahoo group website.  Of course searching for it will need to avoid many other websites about the city of Rome.

For information about WWII, see the 2009 paperback 'Gypsies under the Swastika'  by Donald Kenrick & Grattan Puxon, published by University of Hertfordshire Press - ISBN 978-1-902806-80-8.

In the library of the Imperial War Museum in London there is the Memorial Book of Roma and Sinti imprisoned in Auschwitz-Birkenau, which contains masses of details of names, places of origin, occupations,  and of the Z numbers imposed on over 20,000 of them.  It consists of two volumes, one for males, one for females.

The 'Auschwitz Chronicle' is a daily record of events there, compiled by Danuta Czech at the research department at the camp, largely based on records made by the nazis who operated the camps.

Grattan Puxon is also the author of the paperback 'Freeborn Traveller' published by Small World Media in 2007 - ISBN 978-0-9554634-1-9.  Grattan has been campaigning in defence of travellers for many years.