The left in Greece offers no prospects for the working class

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
The left in Greece offers no prospects for the working class
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: The left in Greece offers no prospects for the working class. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
"In a survey of those who

"In a survey of those who voted for the neo-nazi Golden Dawn in May, 60% said it was as a protest vote, with fewer than 30% actually wanting to get rid of immigrants. It might seem a strange way to protest, but in many ways no stranger than thinking that Syriza was different to the other left parties."

Hmm, I don't know about that. The equivalence between voting for neo-nazis and the latest left-wing incarnation seems rather questionable. At least when they are voting for the left-wing, workers are intending to act in their own interests, even if it is an illusion. But when they vote for neo-Nazis? Is this an effect of the decomposition of the bourgeois political apparatus or is there something more nefarious going on?

Pierre
Re:

jk1921 wrote:
At least when they are voting for the left-wing, workers are intending to act in their own interests, even if it is an illusion.

I mostly agree with jk here. We just have to be careful to not get into the "lesser of two evils" thing in a way that confuses and distracts workers from the task of communist revolution. But I think it goes the same in the other direction as well. There are some important differences between your stereo-typical leftists and backwards, conservative or reactionary voters. But its also true those differences seem smaller in the shadow of bourgeois democratism.

Fred
no prospects at all

It's possible to get so pissed off and frustrated with everything, that you don't care what you do, and can even get a perverse satisfaction from deliberately acting savagely against your own own self- interests, especially when, as in a case like this, there's an overall feeling that the election and it's result is all just another collection of shite anyway, so that none of it matters. It's all daft and hopeless anyway so why bother? - that's how it must seem to most folk in Greece, to name only one place on an increasingly lonely and desperate planet - and it tends to bring out the anarchist, nihilist and self-destructive side of us all, in vicious gestures of self-contempt, lashing out at everything, because we lack any real alternative and any real creative outlet AT THE MOMENT. But this could change. It's like we're on the brink, and waiting for a signal or something, to start us off, and show the way forward in the super clarity of suddenly achieved consciouness, and class consciouness at that!

This atmosphere of waiting, and expectation, of being about to hear some very significant news, and being a bit nervous and fearful as to what it will indicate, permeates so much of the material available on this site at this moment, that I don't know how we contain ourselves. But is this just another illusion?