The bourgeoisie is divided by the crisis but united against the working class

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
The bourgeoisie is divided by the crisis but united against the working class
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: The bourgeoisie is divided by the crisis but united against the working class. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
Good..but too black and white in places.

I agree with most of the article, but I think some of the analysis of the situation in the USA--and by extension elsewhere--is a little too black and white. It is true that no faction of the bourgeoisie has a "solution" for the conomic crisis, but that doesn't mean that all factions are the same. There is a huge difference right now in the USA between the comportment of the Democrats and the Republicans. If the Democrats don't have a solution to the crisis, at least they are not actively working to immediately accelerate it. The Republican Party's ideological deterioration has become a genuine threat to the USA's state captialist apparatus itself. Sometimes we miss the trees for the forest. This of course does not detract from the article's main point: the economic crisis is intractable. The question then becomes on what time scale does it play itself out? For someone operating on a level other than deep historical time, might it appear that Democrats actually have a solution? That does not mean of course that left communists/revolutionaries abandon the historical perspective, but I think it should make us think about how to present that perspective in a way that does not appear too manichean.

mikail firtinaci
JK, this is an interesting

JK, this is an interesting point.

I liked the article very much - it is expressing my general feelings about the situation. However I am not very clear about the US situation. I understand your points about American right. It seem that american right lost its sense of unity and purpose and became totally disorganized and irrational. In that picture democrats may seem more "sensible" but in what sense? I can't see that clearly. Can you elaborate on what is the democrat policy solution against the crisis a bit?

mikail firtinaci
british government also seems

british government also seems to be having hard times uniting themselves. David Cameron appears to be isolated:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/12/eu-summit-veto-david-cameron...

jk1921
Democratic policy: moderate

Democratic policy: moderate stimulus and debt consolidation; maintain the remaining "safety net" programs, rationalize the health care system, revitalize the union apparatus, moderately regulate Wall Street--in general strengthen or maintain American state captialism.

Republican policy: Ruthless austerity; abolishment of the social safety net, crony captialism, gut the state, starve the state of revenue, obliterate the unions, wild west captialism, etc.

Neither of these represents a "solution" to the crisis in the historical sense, but at least the factions of the bourgeoise who are mostly regrouped in the Democratic Party are trying to use the state capitalist apparatus to manage the crisis. Those factions who have more or less come to dominate the Republican Party in recent years almost seem to embrace the crisis as an opportunity to weaken the U.S. state capitalist apparatus as much as possible. In a sense they have become an element of the crisis themselves.

There may be similar trends elsewhere, particularly in the UK, but none of the great powers have witnessed an ideological decline of the right-wing quite as profound as the U.S. has to the point where the bouegeoisie is increasingly unable to act in the overall interests of the national captial in general.