The South Korean ruling class tears aside the veil of its “democracy”

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
The South Korean ruling class tears aside the veil of its “democracy”
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: The South Korean ruling class tears aside the veil of its “democracy”. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
Weren't MC and his companion

Weren't MC and his companion acquitted of similar charges of "aiding the enemy" following the end of the Nazi occupation in France? Could this be used as a precedent in the comrade's defense?

Devrim
 I think that the comrades

I think that the comrades have already been found guilty, and are awaiting sentencing, so even if it were in any way relevant it would be too late.

Devrim

LoneLondoner
If anything at all would help the Korean comrades...

...then IMHO it would be to point out that:

a) they are charged (as far as I understand the Korean "National Security Law") with "aiding and abetting the enemy" (ie North Korea), when in fact they have declared openly, including in court, that they are equally opposed to state capitalist and "straight" capitalist regimes

b) that therefore they are being charged with a "thought crime", which is precisely the kind of thing you would expect in North Korea, or indeed in the previous South Korean military dictatorship

The chances that this would do any good are minimal, of course.

Peter Pan
what can we do for the comrades in South-Korea?

What can we do for the comrades in South-Korea? Will there be an ICC-delegation present during the trial? Or won't this do any help and maybe be too dangerous? (I don't even count in the financial difficulties such a travel can bring.) How can we express in a concrete way our solidarity? The initiative by Loren Goldner reminds of the methods that Amnesty International uses: writing with as many as possible to put pressure on the government. It is a kind of desperate solution and I agree with the scepticity of Loren Goldner and the ICC about the effectiveness of this “write-in” mail campaigns, but that “an international spotlight on this case just might have an effect on the final sentencing of these exemplary militants”. But how big are the chances that this will work?

It is not the first time and will not be the last that members and sympathizers of the communist left, and even more general, internationalists are trialled for false reasons. don't know if Sacco and Vanzetti were internationalist anarchists, but their case is famous. Despite the massive demonstrations in their support, they were sentenced to death. I don't want to be pessimistic, but face reality.

Do the comrades in S-Korea receive support from local groups, sympathizers, organisations? What about Hankyoreh, the "progressive newspaper", can they diffuse an article on the comrades?

A sympathizer.

LoneLondoner
The sentencing has been delayed...

We've had news that sentencing has been delayed until February 18th, which comrades there interpret as a good sign. As regards what we can do, IMHO giving maximum publicity is the best we can, that and letting the comrades themselves know that we are thinking of them, and that they have the solidarity of those outside Korea. I'm sure that they are receiving solidarity from groups inside Korea, but we have no idea of the details. Unfortunately Hankyoreh (at least as far as I can tell from its English edition) has not mentioned the subject at all, and there does not seem to be a mail address (at least I cannot find one) whereby one could send them a copy of our statement, or others.