Podemos: New clothes at the service of the capitalist emperor

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
Podemos: New clothes at the service of the capitalist emperor
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Podemos: New clothes at the service of the capitalist emperor. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
Hmm, I agree with the need to

Hmm, I agree with the need to denouce Podemos and its sister parties (movements) for what they are--wings of the bourgeois state, but I fear the article has too much of a conspiratorial ring to it, by focusing on the function that Podemos plays for Spanish (and world) capital in recuperating the assemblys of prior protests behind an electoral charade. It does indeed attempt this function, but I think there is an understatement in the analysis of the other side of such parties and movements that illustrates the changing nature of bourgeois politics, which is finding it ever more difficult to contain the populist sentiments--both right and left (sometimes they crossover)--that are exploding as a result of global capital's malaise (The WR article did a better job of this). This leads to an increasing degree of political and state instability that the main factions of the bourgeois political class are finding more difficult to control and which can lead to undesired and even counterproductive political outcomes. Its all a function of captialsit decomposition of course--but, the article makes it sound a little too controlled and probably more Machiavellian than it really is--even if the end result is largely the same.

I also wasn't convinced by the idea that the goal of Podemos was to sour people on politics altogether. This is quite another thing than integrating them into the electoral process. Which one is it? The main thrust that I hear is that young people today need to relearn how to be political. They are too steeped in purist, utopian and totalistic thinking and can't appreciate the need for reasoned compromise and working through institutions. Isn't that what Podemos and like parties teach? Of course, there is always the risk for the bourgeoisie that the opposite lesson is learned when it is not in the overall political interests of the national state to accomadate these parties--the US bourgeoisie faces this problem now when it inevitably has to kick Bernie to the curb. Of course, he doesn't seem to want to go quietly......

lem_
Quote:ever more difficult to

Quote:
ever more difficult to contain the populist sentiments--both right and left (sometimes they crossover)--that are exploding as a result of global capital's malaise

are any of these populist movements internationally focused? 

i'm just wondering, whether the ruling class are going to recompose themselves only on the terrain of leftist (and right) nationalism.

this may make me sound a little mental: aren't the ruling class doing a good enough job to keep on with before? but, perhaps, this underestimates the severity of the economic crisis.