Hey whats up everybody this is Jamal
It's Friday lunch time here and I was hoping to start a discussion about some of the events that have been happening here in the US (not at all to over shadow the events in Brazil and Turkey).
Some things that have been happening if you're not able to follow US current events closely (hard to know where to begin):
1. Guantanamo prisoners continue hunger strike, now being force-fed.
2. Talks continue over arming Syrian rebels
3. Assata Shakur added to the FBI's most wanted terrorists list
4. Petagon study finds 26,000 sexual assualts in military over one year
5. Former Republic factory workers in Chicago re-open business as "worker owned cooperative"
6. May 10th - The American Civil Liberties Union has obtained documents revealing that the FBI and IRS may be reading emails and other electronic communications of U.S. citizens without obtaining a warrant.
7. May 17th - Senate hearing revisiting the Authorization for Use of Military Force
8. May 23rd - Obama admits four US citizens were killed as enemy combatants in overseas drone strikes
9. Chicago shuts down at least 50 publics schools (...neener neener to all those CTU fans...)
10. Report finds 1 and 6 people living in US go hungry
11. June 3rd - Bradley Manning trial begins
12. A leaked court order reveals the Obama administration is conducting a massive domestic surveillance program by collecting telephone records of millions of Verizon customers
13. June 10th - Now famous whistleblower Ed Snowden proves the National Security Agency has obtained access to the central servers of nine major Internet companies — including Google, Microsoft, Apple, Yahoo! and Facebook. (In your face people who called me paranoid for deleting my Google and Facebook accounts when they began asking for phone numbers over a year ago!)
14. June 13th - Mexican migrant dies of heatstroke re-crossing border
15. Supreme courts bars patenting of (non-altered or "natural") genes... Concession #1
16. Obama, other high-ranking officials begin outright lying about legal procedures of State surveillance
17. News emerges Obama himself was tapped in 2004
18. US Gov't possibly covering up aspects of TWA 800 crash
19. June 26th - Supreme court guts Voting Rights Act... Concession #2
20. Same day - Anti-abortion bill fails in Texas
21. June 27th - Supreme court strikes down DOMA, Prop 8... Concession #3
22. Senate passes immagration "reform" bill... could be seen as a concession
23. Trial of George Zimmerman begins
So from my perspective when put into a chronological (even if simplified) list we can see the shit storm that came down on the US Ruling Class eariler this month. And we also see the resulting concessions.
What are your thoughts? What does this mean for the US class struggle? Or how are you affected by this where you live?
I can't remember the last time the US government has been caught so red-handed and then so blatantly broken open the Piñata of concessions. Is the American bourgeoisies grip on the working class strengthening or slipping???