The Snowden "Movement" Co-Opted? Bourgeois Ideological Campaign?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pierre
The Snowden "Movement" Co-Opted? Bourgeois Ideological Campaign?
Printer-friendly version

Quote:
A federal appeals court has ruled the National Security Agency’s bulk collection of millions of Americans’ phone records is illegal. The program was exposed by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden; the ACLU filed its lawsuit based largely on Snowden’s revelations. In a unanimous decision Thursday, a three judge panel of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York called the bulk phone records collection "unprecedented and unwarranted." The ruling comes as Congress faces a June 1st deadline to renew the part of the Patriot Act that authorizes the NSA’s bulk data surveillance. Another measure, the USA Freedom Act, would lead to limited reforms of some of the NSA’s programs. We are joined by Jameel Jaffer, Deputy Legal Director of the ACLU, which filed the case challenging the NSA’s bulk collection of American’s phone records.

Quote:
The program was first exposed in 2013 by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. And the ACLU filed its lawsuit based largely on Snowden’s revelations. In a unanimous decision, Thursday, a three-judge panel, a second circuit court of appeals in New York, called the bulk phone records collection unprecedented and unwarranted. Judge Gerald Lynch wrote, "the government does not even suggest that all of the records sought or even necessarily any of them are relevant to any specific defined inquiry. In a concurring opinion, Judge Robert sack wrote, "considering the issue of advocacy in the context of deliberations involving alleged state secrets, and more broadly, the 'leak' by Edward Snowden that led to this litigation, calls to mind the disclosures by Daniel Ellsberg, that gave rise to the legendary 'Pentagon Papers' litigation."

The ruling class once again shifts the legal framework of a state apparatus around an emergingly irreconcilable political position. No one seems to want to confront the fact that the government has developed these frameworks clandestinely and will maintain them clandestinely.

Apparently catching a murderer in the act of a murder is not enough evidence to warrant real action in the minds most of fellow workers. Or is it?

Pierre
American Civil Liberties Union

The ACLU is sure living up to it's name of a "union" isn't it?

lem_
i think most people have

i think most people have decided to tune out all the contemporary spying so they don't have to think about google and internet ads.

my older brother used to have a pretty deep rooted paranoia that his phone had been "cloned". it was weird when this story broke - mad people vindicated hah

Pierre
Re: vindication

Yeah, I'm totally with you there lem_. Your posts have been great lately man keep it up. I can't tell you how much I used to joke that the government is listening to my calls with people. Turns out they're "not" (well, not illegally)-but they are collecting so much data about your phone call they don't need to listen.

Check out these vids dude

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Government Surveillance
(bad host, bad show, surprisingly informative bit)

Terms and Conditions May Apply

lem_
that's nice of you to say

that's nice of you to say dude. i'll click later...

i saw this today on my "feed" http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/jun/12/pentago... though it is a year old.

i think that there has to be a BIG upswing in next 25-30 years.