Spanish miners strike

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Crisanto
Spanish miners strike
Printer-friendly version

I visited the ICC Spanish site I did not see an article about the Spanish miners strike despite that for days the strike has been in the bourgeois media.

According to the news the strike is led by the unions. Because of this I'm wary that this could lead to defeat since the miners are struggling alone and isolated.

baboon
Agree with inter

I agree with inter above that there is a  need for an article from source on the Spanish miners strike. It is one of the few strikes that is being reported here in the UK  - and the reason for that is because the lessons are negative and it is going nowhere.  British trade unions have also vocalised their "support". There are very strong echos of the 84 miners' strike in Britain. There's certainly combativity but the strike is being drowned in its own isolation. The set piece confrontations with the police appear somewhat pathetic with fireworks being used. If it carries on like this, the eventual defeat of the miners in this corporate prison will be used as a weapon against the whole class, ie, "if the proud Spanish miners can't win...."

There is an article from AP which has been  translated in RI on the general class struggle situation in Spain on the March 29 General Strike which is appropriate to this issue of corporatism. In this piece it mentions part of the libcom discussion on the unions where comrades of the ICC and sympathisers put forward the view that the union ideology went beyond the participants in or the result of a strike, applying much wider to the class as a whole - and certainly those not striking for example.

Some posters on this site have unsurprisingly gone ecstatic over the strike, which shows how dangerous the trade union ideology is for the working class and what a service that they are capable of performing for the state. The unions seem to have a strong grip on this strike and any possible effective solidarity - just like 84.

But we need something from AP because of the international campaign and because of any possible developments.

baboon
ICT article

There's a piece on the ICT's website by MR talking about the Asturian miners' strike that's worth a look. It salutes the militancy and the drive of the workers involved but it's a bit soft in my opinion.

It says that there's been a "media blackout" on the event which is false because the BBC alone has reported on it -  quite a lot from what I've seen. The idea of the "media blackout" is supposed to show us that this strike is so radical that the bourgeoisie don't want us to know about it. But as there is no "media blackout" one can only conclude that the bourgeoisie do want to spread this story for their own reasons. And that reason is, and the ICT piece doesn't mention this, that the isolation of this movement of the 'brave Asturian miners' will lead them to defeat. This is not the "great strength of these workers" but their possible greatest weakness. The steel strikes in Lorraine and Alsace at the end of the 70s were virtually identical to this movement and they were crushed because of their isolation. Closer home and more recently we have the lessons of the miners' strike here in Britain: no matter how militant, no matter what noble traditions, to stay locked in a corporate struggle leads to defeat.

The piece makes something of a banner hoisted by the miners saying "We're not outraged, just pissed off". In English you can be pissed off, outraged and indignant all at the same time. There's not necessarily a division. But there is the division that the bourgeoisie are trying to create, which, in my opinion, this piece follows, which is that the workers are separate from the protesters. I.e. the protesters are "idealists", muddle-headed and have no solution. It is vital for the bourgeoisie to play against any possible unification of movements of youth which see no future in capitalism and the struggle of the working class.

It's not the revolutionary party which is necessary for this struggle to go forward but the move outward, the extension of the struggle bringing in more working class struggle. This is the impulsion that is needed - there was no "domino effect" from the corporate French steel strikes and the British miners' strike no matter how militant they were. Just crushing defeats.