Prefigurative politics

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
hmmm
Prefigurative politics
Printer-friendly version

Any opinions on this topic? The concept that a future society can be reflected within capitalism seems interesting.

jk1921
Not to be too pedantic, but

Not to be too pedantic, but "reflecting" and "prefiguring" are probably two different processes. Its hard to say what in capitalist society prefigures communism other than the proletariat itself, a class with "radical chains," which has no particular interest in class society to defend; so its struggle is a surrogate for the struggle of the human species as a whole. Still, these are mostly negative descriptions of what communism is not. Some might argue that the collective nature of the proletariat; its cooperative approach to production on the shop floor prefigures the "society of associated producers" Marx talked about. There were some studies done of "working class creativity" on the shop floor in the 60s and 70s that echoed this idea, but I worry that these ideas evidence a certain Proudhonist, self-management influence. Some might argue that the workers' councils, with their system of direct representation and recallable delagates prefigures communism in that it abolishes the alienation of representation, but others would argue that they still reflect a certain degree of mediation and are as such only imperfect transitional organs that would not exist in communism.

What do you think?

devoration1
This question reminds me too

This question reminds me too much of the IWW constitution preamble; 'building the new world in the shell of the old'. I agree with jk above, that the qualities of the proletariat (I'd say solidarity is most evident on this topic) itself prefigure the new world post-revolution, post-transition. Also, I don't think its possible to really get into this topic without it devolving into economist, 'participatory economics', technocratic, syndicalist-esque fantasizing (which is a side road away from the class terrain of the proletariat).