Affirmative action

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
hmmm
Affirmative action
Printer-friendly version

What is the general consensus about affirmmative action? It can be seen as dividing the workers and redressing historical injustices. Is it beneficial?

Devrim
We don't support programmes

We don't support programmes like this. More generally we don't think it is the task of communists to propose management solutions for capitalism. What is your opinion on it?

Devrim

jk1921
There is an article in an

There is an article in an early issue of Internationalism on Affirmitive Action. I beleive the title is "Furor over Bakke." I don't think it is is online though.

hmmm
" We don't support programmes

"

We don't support programmes like this. More generally we don't think it is the task of communists to propose management solutions for capitalism. What is your opinion on it?"

I'm not entirely sure on this topic, but what would you do in cases where oppressed minority workers obtain jobs with good salaries thanks to affirmative action whereas in the past, they would be denied such opportunities due to racism? Would you support this or ask the minority worker to give up his/her salary as it is evil, so to speak?

devoration1
No. It's similar to the union

No. It's similar to the union question- no left communist is going to demand unionized workers vote to decertify their union, give up their union benefits, etc.

We cannot exist outside of capitalism. We can't live 'pure' communist-workerist lives within capitalism. Programs and groups that exist to influence bosses, bourgeois politicians, etc simply aren't the 'place' for pro-revolutionary, militant communists. Our goals aren't to 'fix' capitalism, to make it just and run smoothly- it's to abolish it, and replace it.

Devrim
We certainly wouldn't ask any

We certainly wouldn't ask any worker to 'give up their salary'. On an individual level if some worker has got a better job out of one good luck to her. I don't know much about these type of schemes, and how they actually work, but I always presumed that they actually applied more to management jobs than workers.

Devrim

vstanrabotnikov
 Affirmative action is used

Affirmative action is used very well when it suits the bourgeois and as Devrim points out, it is largely used in management jobs and petit-bourgeois professions, police etc.

It can even be used to stir up racial tensions to purposefully divide up labour, I have heard of examples of this in a few different workplaces my mates worked at.