Gareth Bale - a success story

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fred
Gareth Bale - a success story
Printer-friendly version

Young and handsome Gareth Bale: the world's most expensive footballer. The envy the world over of young men, and  women too.  And not just the young. Older commentators also dribble at the mouth. We all want to be a success like him, don't we? And, if we dont, then there must be something wrong  with us, or so the media imply.  Gorgeous Gareth: so talented as a player: so rich,  so famous, so photogenic, has he not achieved one of capitalism's great pinnacles of international glory; spread across all the newspapers and TV screens? What luck he has had, and deserves it all doesnt he? This young lad  made good! Who wouldn't want  to change places with him?  To give up the monotony of a job, or the boredom on no job; to give up having to count the pennies when your wages run into millions; to laugh at austerity in the eternal sunshine of Spain (like being on holiday all the time)  to be the current darling of the spectacular never-ending world capitalist circus. And all just for being good at playing football.  He probably even enjoys it!  What a difference between his job and working say as a hotel cleaner - twenty rooms a day, poor wages, and heavy work changing all those beds year in year out - or being a hospital orderly, sitting at the end of a phone all day, wondering if they're going to call you in for a couple of hours, on wages that'll barely keep you going for another couple of hours, never mind buy a few days in the Spanish sun.  A zero win situation if ever there was one. 

And look at this!  The Daily Mail, so full of admiration for the takented and now immensely rich young man - and he achieved it all on his own you know, no looking around for handouts from the nanny state, or going off snivelling somewhere for a free lunch. No. Gareth is an example to us all. He has done all this on his own initiative: he has taken advantage of the possibilities that capitalism offers us all, if only we weren't all such half wits, for he is an enterprising   youth. And he has attained his reward. 

The Daily Mail gives us a list of what constitutes THE BALE LOOK, fashionistas wake up, and go out and spend, and a comparison with the RONALDO LOOK is made. The ageing David Beckham had better look out,  or is he about to be dumped?  But let's stick with Gareth.  His Dolce & Gabbana T-shirt was £122; His WASHBAG (whats that?) was £420  and his Carrier bag, made in Wales - note this well - was 5p.  Oh! What a wonderful touch that is.   A plastic carrier bag at only 5p.  D'you think he did this deliberately, my beautiful plastic bag,  or did the newspapers suggest it, or even make it up?  Oh! Our lovely Gareth and what a lark. Hoodie brand unknown they add.  Its enough to knock yer sox off isn't it? Specially if a hoodie is all you've actually got to wear when you go out, and you may never rise to own a wash bag at all, or even to much of a wash given the price of hot water under austerity. 

But "Golden lads and girls all must, as chimney sweepers turn to dust" as the bard penned  years ago.  What is the reality for Gareth Bale?  Is not the media setting him up for a disastrous fall?  Does he fully realize the enormity of what he's taken on?  And what must  Ronaldo be feeling as he is forced, like it or not, into a competitive  role with regard to Gareth Bale?  Capitalism has always been a hard task master even for those who are presented as having achieved an envious success under its poisoned auspices.  I feel sorry for Gareth and no envy at all: apart from his skills at soccer that is.  The money he gets may not bring the anticipated happiness it is always assumed it will. Plenty of rich and famous folk can bear witness to that.  His skills on the pitch will come under hard scrutiny, as he is recognized as the "most expensive footballer ever" and has to live up to it.  A toll will be made on his psychological strength, and probably on his young family too. 

But let's wish him every success in his new job.  He's won a golden bowl.  But, as Henry James analyses in his novel The Golden Bowl, even  for the very richest the bowl can turn out to be irremediably cracked and a poisoned chalice to boot. 

baboon
Handsome?

Handsome??? He looks like Martin Keown's long lost son. Still his departure to Real Madrid allowed Ozil to come to Arsenal

Alf
baboon, we all know your subtext

Your subtext is racism against primates. As a baboon you should know better. 

A.Simpleton
apeish

You are taxonomically correct alf, albeit a tad deluded: just as in the 'order': 'sport' there is a 'genus': football' and various 'species' : Arsenal, Blackburn Rovers etc. (which term 'technically' includes 'sub-species' like Tottenham Hotspur)

AS

(I have an ominous feeling that this will read 'post deleted')

A.Simpleton
Less facetiously

Your post Fred brings to mind a couple of things: I have lived for 25 years without television and can only bear radio in the form of the World Service in the wee hours. I 'even' renounced radio four a while back: the pounding out of 'the news' -which became ever harder to distinguish from 'The Now Show' -a piss-take of the news.

The last straw was the 'horseshit found in burgers' vacuity: first the propaganda announces that some burger somewhere was found to contain 0.01% horseshit : then the newsreader reported that Ed Milliband had expressed outrage in the House of Ordures, followed by the recording of said Millipede declaiming: 'Im outraged: it is intolerable that blah blah'.....': then 'balanced' views of various horseshit experts were broadcast at length . ...er...excuse me ... has anything happened in Syria? or is it suddenly love and peace all round . OFF never to be turned on again.

More specifically your accurate delineation of the 'poisoned chalice' of fame, its rewards etc. has a poignant underlying reality. It is a common subject to 'moan about' that 'these footballers are paid ludicrous sums for nothing and behave disgustingly etc. etc.

I respond - and not just as devil's advocate - that these young men have been 'bought' at the age of 14/16 and from that early age have been subjected to gruelling physical training week in week out: in comfortable 'barracks' maybe  ...but ripped from their homes and families. Beckham's parents signed 'for him' (because he was not of age) his first training contract (at Spurs in fact). Then when he was bought by Man Utd. and 'branded' (property of M.Utd) he remembers as a sixteen year old squad trainee, expressing his excitement to a first teamer that he might even get to play for England one day.

'England?' said his colleague ' .you have joined something way, way bigger than England son' ( indeed he had become a commodity for one branch of International Capital)

They are the modern 'Gladiators': there are many parallels with Roman Empire patrician/slave class society: the greatest popular heroes were the Charioteers and Gladiators: they were some of the richest men in Rome: huge townhouse, vast villa in the countryside : bunga bunga by the pool etc.: and they were slaves: through most of their careers they were slaves with no rights: they might be 'manumitted' by achievement by a benign Fergusonus Maximus at his convenience or buy 'freedom':but more likely they were similarly bought and sold all their 'short' careers (formula one chariot racing is deadly - as are lions)

Much of the graffitti preserved (especially in Pompeii) is about Chariot Teams or heroes: 'The Purples Rule OK' kinda thing: or 'Celtus Scipio stercus caput'st' (Scotty Scipio's a shithead)

Apart from the fact that it is a certainty that the moaners couldn't run up a pitch and back once (nor me I hasten to add), let alone for 90 minutes and then another 30 while being battered, chopped and smashed in the head : and then after all that take a penalty in front of 100,000 people (plus millions on TV): two days off : longhaul flight : do it again.

What was that Wordsworth you posted about the empty 'boon' of 'mastery of nature' and loss of human heart?

AS

Fred
The British PM says its all

The British PM says its all right for  Tottenham  Hotspur football fans to go on and chant about being  YIDS because  they are anyway and there's no hate involved.  How does he know?  If members of the   National Front and other fascist groups are present at a game, then there might be elements of hate or at least mockery involved.  In which case yids living in nearby Schnorrers Hill, or Stoke Jewington, may tremble in their boots.

But hasn't the PM opened the sluice gates.  If its now all right to use all the glorious hate words, like yid, fag, bitch,  commie and nigger - as long as there's no hate intended (lol) - does this mean that capitalist society is kind of demythologizing itself?  Or defetishizing itself.  Like Christianity did in the sixties when it became the fashion, almost a necessity in fact, for christian believers NOT  to believe  in god or Jesus' miracles and the virgin birth etc. in order to go on being fashionably   religious and a proper Christian.  Perhaps it was okay as long as you "believed" in the noosphere or something like that  instead. 

So we'll end up with a sort of thoroughly cleansed  and purged capitalism. No more accusations of "you're a white nigger bitch and queer as well" because, purged of hate this wont mean anything.  I don't know though how  this is going to work for people who feel suicide is the only way out for them, as they succumb to what they experience as the degradation of being different in a society that values and puts a price on conformity.  Apart from the PM  that is. It seems that for him, as the new thouroughly modernized kind of capitalist, that you can be what you like, and say what you like, as long as you have a job and  keep quiet  about the lousy  wages;  keep quiet absolutely and try and disappear into the woodwork like a cockroach if you don't have a job; expect no help or handouts from the state; keep your misery and hunger to yourself and look for little from the educational control system, and accept peacefully that the Health Service is dead in the water. These are the new commandments they give unto us.  But you can be the faggiest, most niggery yid in the world and nobody will mind, at least in theory.  

No wonder Gareth Bale buggered off to Spain. Who can blame him. Though isn't it much the same lying hypocrisy and misery there, and everywhere else too under dying capitalism? 

radicalchains
Just a quick anecdote... When

Just a quick anecdote...

When I was at school walking home one day me and a mate said to someone we knew "Yid Army". He was walking just in front of us, we said it a couple or more times because he was a Tottenhm fan. I'm not sure I even knew if the guy was Jewish or not. As far as I'm concerned it was purely a football rivalry cos I supported someone else. To highlight this, not to bring out the old excuse "I'm not racist, I've got black mates etc" my mothers side of the family were Jewish so some would consider me the same, though I don't. 

He clearly was offended but didn't show it at the time. I was called into a teachers office some days later and threatened with suspension or even expulsion. I ended up with a Saturday detention. My mates dad actually came in to see the teacher and was outraged that we or more likely his own son was even being punished. I'm not sure if that was because he thought it was harmless football/childish stuff or that his son denied he had said anything. Maybe it was just me who said it, I honestly can't remember. 

Obviously if I knew it was abusive I would never had said it, after all I actually liked the guy. I think it's just down to my own ignorance as a kid.

As for Bale, good luck to him though he's not that good looking. I think a lot of footballers have a very one sided boring life. They sadly know pretty much one thing, have very little control over their life and are very ignorant. Many by the amounts of money they earn are defacto capitalists in my opinion and have reactionary ideology and perspectives - that's when you get a chance to hear it. Nowadays it's all muffled by the PR goons and interview technique. 

As I get older the less I'm interested in football or any professional sport.

jk1921
An American Football story:

An American Football story: Riley Cooper--a white wide receiver for the Philadeplphia Eagles--was recently caught on camera at a country music concert boasting that he would, "fight every nigger here," after he had a disagreement with an African American security guard. Of course, this video went viral leading to his temporary suspension from the team. Eagles QB Michael Vick--himself a convicted dog torturer--quickly proclaimed that his teammates had "forgiven him" and that he would be welcomed back. Meanwhile, rumblings emerged from the lower ranks of the locker room that Cooper was not in fact forgiven and that he had better watch his back, er head, all season.

Of course, all of the official condemnation of Cooper's drunken racist outburst took place in the context of a sports league that still permits its Washington, DC franchise to use the openly racist "Redskins" name. So much for consistency in political correctness when it comes to sports, I guess.

Alf
a spurs supporter speaks

Speaking as a Spurs supporter since 1959-60 (yes, before the Double season) and a high ranking member of the World Jewish Conspiracy, I see things a bit differently from Fred. I posted this in a discussion about the 'yid question' on Facebook today: 

Harlan County, Kentucky, USA: the miners’ strike of 1972. A white miner interviewed by the makers of the film Harlan County USA says that ‘we are all niggers down the mine’. In another scene the armed thugs hired by the company chase a black miner yelling ‘get that nigger’, but he is protected by his white fellow workers. The same word, different meaning.

May 1968, France: after a French government spokesman tries to prevent student activist Daniel Cohn-Bendit from re-entering the country during the strike of ten million workers on the grounds that he is not French but ‘a German Jew’, French students and workers demonstrate and raise the slogan ’we are all German Jews’. Same phrase, opposite meaning.

And when racist fans who support Chelsea or West Ham or whatever use the word Yid to insult Tottenham fans, the mainly non-Jewish Tottenham fans respond by taking the term Yid as a badge of honour. 

Same word, opposite meaning.

Alf
serious error

I must apologise for the serious error in the above post. Having checked the records, I realise that I have in fact been a Spurs supporter since the 1958-59 season, as I have a distinct memory of my uncle returning from the game where they beat Leicester 6-0 and feeling elated at the result. His explanation was 'they went mad today': Spurs finished 18th that year, so were not yet the Super Spurs of the 1960-61 season, although there were definite harbingers, like the Leicester game in March, and when they beat Everton 10-4 in October, on Billy Nicholson's first game as manager. Just thought I had better put the record straight. 

A.Simpleton
Oy vey ...

Now I'm just a honky,cracker,frosthead,wrinkly,pseudo-toff,pussy-bitch goy so what do I know ....but ..

At the age of 9/10 a schoolfriend's (now a Rabbi) Father had a season ticket to Spurs and I saw my first professional game at 'Non-Black Red-Deer-Non-Female Lane' in that very '60/61 season. Cliff Jones (left wing) was my hero as I was a fast winger in the school team (my speed 'a material necessity' rooted in wimp-titch abject fear of huge full-backs).

He confirms I feel, my non-prescriptive gladiator analogy:

'Cliff played for Tottenham for 10 years, breaking practically every bone in his body throughout that time. The dentist was kept busy repairing his teeth after most games because he insisted on risking being kicked in the mouth to head home a goal.'

(http://www.spursodyssey.com/double/double2.html)

Like Rad.Chains age brings progressive disinterest in me too, but I think partly because without ever believing that sport was 'outside the relations of production' material conditions are a bit different. 

When Jimmy Greaves joined Spurs he related that he travelled to each game via bus and train - with the fans: ~£2 for a lose: £3 for a draw: £5 for a win.

Fred your: 

So we'll end up with a sort of thoroughly cleansed  and purged capitalism. No more accusations of "you're a white nigger bitch and queer as well" because, purged of hate this wont mean anything.

Is thought provoking: I believe the 'legal defense' now is 'I was being ironic'

And in a spirit of Internationalism: we were playing a gig in San Francisco the night The 49ers won their first Super Bowl (thanks to Wersching's field goals): fortunately, being before the digital age, the bands' decadent behaviour celebrating that night with the whole of The City has faded with the polaroids it 'allegedly' had been captured on.

The strange personal paradox being that just months before, AS's whole focus had been on the truly heroic push of 9 million Polish workers......

AS

Fred
I'm not sure you do see

I'm not sure you do see things differently from me Alf.  But if you really want to insist then that's okay. Unlike radical chains and AS I have come to sport a bit late in life (approaching 80 now to my amazement)  but am still a nigger, a Jew, a gypsy and a fag at heart. And a worker too. Fred. 

radicalchains
Talking of detentions (maybe

Talking of detentions (maybe there should be a thread about school/education and how shit it was/is under capitalism?) it has reminded me of others I had the mispleaseure of receiving. For some reason very occasionally it seemed, during lunch breaks there would be sixth formers on the doors of certain 'blocks' (acting like security guards). The science block (building) for example or the doors to the cafeteria - mainly to manage the queue outside, with more goons on the inside. For some reason one lunchtime me and some mates wanted to go in the science block and the guard wouldn't let us. So naturally I protested, told him to piss off or worse etc It came back that I apparently had evaded his persuit (smokey and the bandit?) and for these great crimes I was awarded a Saturday detention. But before you think sixth formers received special treatment, my brother who chose not to turn up one lunch time to do his duty on the lunch queue also received a Saturday detention. Funnily enough, when I was in the sixth form I don't recall ever being on any queue or at any doorway and if I was asked probably wouldn't have bothered to turn up. On another occasion I told a French teacher to piss off which I later said under interrogation that I was talking to the dickhead behind me kicking my chair (which although happened was a lie). Not sure what came of that but I remember sitting in the deputy head's office for a very long time and having to write down what had happened (just like captured soldiers, except I didn't have to sign anything). But easily the worst thing about the school was the lack of football. As far as I could understand football was not played (except at lunchtime in the playground of course) because it was seen as vulgar (and working class, probably). What made this even more infuriating was the fact there was a well known football stadium  ten minutes down the road. The main sports much like private schools I suspect were rugby and cricket both of which I hate to this day. Football was introduced in the last couple of years before I left as an option but it was not organised and there were no teams unlike all other sports at the school including hockey and athletics etc Naturally, I advised my sister not to send her son to the school despite the (good) reputation or however high the school comes in the 'league tables' - which incidentally is quite high. It's interesting to note that I probably wouldn't be able to get in now as acceptance has become more stringent and competitve. I was accepted at the time in large part simply because my elder brother had gone there.

I bring all this up in part becuase I was reading bits of The ABC of Communism. Specifically, the chapter on Communism and Education. Quite refreshing stuff and a good anecdote to all those who think institutions are neutral or that education will not change under communism.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/bukharin/works/1920/abc/10.htm

baboon
monkey head

I agree with Alf's position the Yid question and how this abuse was taken up as their own and turned around. It was similar at Arsenal when their player, Martin Keown, was abused by Tottenham supporters in the song "Martin Keown's got a monkey head..." etc., and this was taken up in a similar way by Arsenal supporters. I don't think that Keown looks like a monkey but rather has features that are neanderthal-like. I don't mean this in a pejorative sense at all given that we all have neanderthal genes. I think that Gareth Bale looks similar and it does make for striking (pardon the pun) looks.

David Baddiel, a "comedian", has led the charge that "Yid" is a race hate word. Baddiel is politically correct now but this wasn't the case in the 80's when Baddiel and his equally unfunny stooge, Frank Skinner, aiming their appeal to the "Lad's culture" of the time, blacked up to take the piss out of a black footballer and, on television, invited their moronic fans to send in abuse about him.

What was funny was that Skinner had nearly all of his accumulated wealth appropriated by Bernad Madeoff and is now hawking himself around on unfunny TV "comedy" shows in order to get his standard of living back.

baboon
Aunty BBC

Following the censorship nature of political correctness...

On the weekend's football results coverage on the BBC, Robbie Fowler, the ex-Liverpool footballer was forced to make a grovelling apology by BBC bosses for referring to two scrapping footballers as "fighting like girls". This is the same BBC that literally trafficked underage boys and girls from various intstitutions to their number one star Jimmy Saville, where he abused them with impunity on BBC premises. Any attempt to expose this was covered up by the BBC and those complicit in these actions were paid off with some getting hundreds of thousands of pounds. Saying "fighting like girls" is thus more offensive than the BBC's pimping activity for paedophiles.

"Girls" will probably be the G-word now, just like Yid is the Y-word and nigger the N-word. Cunts! They want to tell you what to say, how to think and what to sing.

jk1921
Yeah, I would advise against

Yeah, I would advise against using the word "girls" in any kind of "professional" work environment. Bad career move. Probably a good idea to avoid anything that is suggestive of diminuition. In fact, my adult dog just told me that he hates it when people call him a "puppy."

Seriously, the outrage was about the comments rather than the fact that two grown men have to settle their differences through fighting?

Fred
Girls may be out, but "lads"

Girls may be out, but "lads" is alright isn't it?  "A good night out with the lads". Boys is alright too.  But "lads" is hotter cf. Houseman's  " A Shropshire Lad". MEN as in the army "right then men" is formal and deadening.  "Right then lads" is heart warming!  But why would a couple of lads want to fight like girls?  

Fred
They also want to tell us

They also want to tell us what not to say baboon. And what we think but don't say is often important too.  So is this thread turning into one where the need to be careful about what you say doesn't matter? Where self censorship is out - for the moment ?

In which case I want to say how amazingly homoerotic football is. Especially Spanish football, with all those rugged and beautiful guys hugging and kissing each other.  They kiss and fondle each other  and really love  one another in an uninhibited way that doesn't happen anywhere else in public.  Not that I know of anyway.  Yet so many of the spectators if asked about homosexuality would be immediately embarrassed and reluctant to speak.  They wouldn't think that the behaviour of their beloved players should be tarnished by such a label: this hugging and kissing is just guys loving each other! Nothing wrong about that. Yet even on the tv screen the crowds'  love for the players and the players love of each other just jumps across to a viewer.  It becomes a giant celebration of love, and - can one say it - physicality too, and sexual being. 

And then of course there's the players' amazing skills and commitment to the game: their strength and determination and fearless pursuit of their objectives. No wonder the old   Greeks adored the male body and the skills of their athletes, which inspired such art, sculpture: such muscles and such flesh.  Why have we lost the ability to rejoice openly about the beauty of young men, yet are expected to drool over the teasing sexuality of young women who are encouraged to behave like sexy objects? It can seem that women have to go to such trouble to make themselves physically attractive whereas lads in a soccer team   have everything going for them merely by being themselves and playing  a game. The sheer physical uninhibited bodily expression. 

It makes me think of communism and the pleasure that humanity will find in free and uninhibited behaviour.  The joy of the body and the pursuit of physical enhancement conjoined with a consciousness freed  from the tortures of crippling ideology. Oh! What joy to be alive then. 

jk1921
Cheated

Fred wrote:

It makes me think of communism and the pleasure that humanity will find in free and uninhibited behaviour.  The joy of the body and the pursuit of physical enhancement conjoined with a consciousness freed  from the tortures of crippling ideology. Oh! What joy to be alive then. 

Do you feel cheated? I know I do.

Fred
cheated but not beaten

jk1921 wrote:

Fred wrote:

Do you feel cheated? I know I do.

Yes jk I do!   But to know it is a step forward is it not?  And we know the solution too,  which hasn't always been the case historically, so that's an improvement too.  

Fred
thinking about cheating

With its bullying hegemony - now rapidly waning, despite jk's protestations (lol) - the USA claimed the noble word "football" for a game that looks like militarized rugby; with its medieval visors, and bloated uniforms designed to strike fear like Henry V111's armour was said to do, with its enormous protruding penis nob. The beautiful game in the USA has been relegated officially to a game for female players: though it has a wide unofficial acceptance and is played by all  genders. This is the worse kind of cheating: to steal a word like football and abuse it. 

The good old game of rounders has been reified in the US into a national religion.  But surely baseball is in fact the most tedious of games to watch?  Rounders used to be fun in a knock-about kind of way.  But baseball's big business and probably includes a lot of cheating.

Being a hegemonic power requires a lot of cheating too  I suppose. And I was wondering whether Obama ever feels that he's cheating - pretending the economy'll be okay if you don't  look at it too hard; pretending he and his assistants have any control over the economy  anyway and maybe cheating himself into thinking that serving  the squalid needs of capitalism is a decent thing to do.  After all, he's an intelligent and eloquent man, so doesn't he cheat his own talents by serving capitalism's filthy demands? 

Only communism  can put an end to cheating. 

A.Simpleton
G-Force

I despair too at the the insidious way such vastly disproportionate events (3 words versus 30 years of life ruining and cover-up) are in someway 'levelled' by the media which likes nothing more than to comment on itself (unless something real has happened) 

On a more surreal note:

All Women Are Bitches : Fifth Column : a Canadian band's 1990s single hailed - by some - as an anthemic contribution to third wave feminism (wasn't it one of Franco's Generals who coined the term in 1938 'I have four columns marching on the city and a fifth inside the city'?) 

"Third-wave feminism is often associated with the emergence of, so-called, lipstick or girly feminisms and the rise of ‘raunch culture’. This is because these new feminisms advocated for “expressions of femininity and female sexuality as a challenge to objectification” ( note 'feminisms' plural : AS) The Political Struggles of Canadian Women O.U.P_

The Spice Girls ..... Girl Power ..... there are 'Gender Scholars' ( no really ...) discussing the cultural impact of such things : one such is Liesbet van Zoonen : surely ... come on ..... surely she belongs in a Premiership team with a name like that.

Not just scoffing: the shallow end is laughably shallow: but even the 'deep end' of such a stance misses its mark by identifying the wrong enemy. 

I am not particularly interested in motors or Jeremy Clarkson but I warmed to him when he said (in Australia) of Gordon Brown :' he's a one eyed Scottish idiot'  That's putting it mildly, I thought (add "thief, liar, accomplice before and after the fact of multiple murder and torture") He is Scottish: he has only one real eye : he is an idiot ...where's the slander?

Then even Clarkson 'apologised' ... what a pussy .... cah...

jk1921
Bitches

A.Simpleton wrote:

All Women Are Bitches : Fifth Column : a Canadian band's 1990s single hailed - by some - as an anthemic contribution to third wave feminism (wasn't it one of Franco's Generals who coined the term in 1938 'I have four columns marching on the city and a fifth inside the city'?) 

I kinda liked Ice-T's 1991 single "Some of y'all Niggas are Bitches Too," which tells the stories of a homey who fled the scene of a gunfight leaving his associates to shoot in out on their own and the of a black guy who joined the police, asked for a white partner, and proceded to crack young black heads on a nightly basis. But that song title commits two sins of political correctness at the same time!

A.Simpleton wrote:

I am not particularly interested in motors or Jeremy Clarkson but I warmed to him when he said (in Australia) of Gordon Brown :' he's a one eyed Scottish idiot'  That's putting it mildly, I thought (add "thief, liar, accomplice before and after the fact of multiple murder and torture") He is Scottish: he has only one real eye : he is an idiot ...where's the slander?

Then even Clarkson 'apologised' ... what a pussy .... cah...

Gordon Brown was Scottish? I couldn't tell that from his accent. I guess he gave up the brogue in order to pass for another drab English politician. All the more reason to consider resigning from the ranks of the Scottish diaspora......

slothjabber
Seriously Scottish?

Errm, do you mean Blair? He spoke with a NE English accent; he didn't however start to call himself 'Orwell' in order to distance himself from his Scottish roots. But Brown was (and is) as Scots as they come. MP for Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeth (previously for Dunfermline East), his father was a minister of the Kirk and everything.

jk1921
Yeah

slothjabber wrote:

Errm, do you mean Blair? He spoke with a NE English accent; he didn't however start to call himself 'Orwell' in order to distance himself from his Scottish roots. But Brown was (and is) as Scots as they come. MP for Kirkcaldy & Cowdenbeth (previously for Dunfermline East), his father was a minister of the Kirk and everything.

Umm, yeah. I was just screwing around. I knew he was Scottish. I thought this was one of those ironic, comedic, hidden meaning threads?

slothjabber
Shame on me

Sorry, couldn't tell it was a joke. You must type with an unfamiliar accent.

jk1921
I do

slothjabber wrote:

You must type with an unfamiliar accent.

Indeed.

A.Simpleton
Gosh

slothjabber wrote:

Brown was (and is) as Scots as they come............... his father was a minister of the Kirk and everything.

I thought his father was Kirk's chief engineer ? - nicknamed 'Scotty' yes, but I think he was actually American: or perhaps of 'dual parentage', which is vying to oust 'mixed race' in the PC dictionary.

Which surely makes 'single parentage' a quite miraculous conception (though it can have serious social repercussions)

baboon
"Juliet is a slag"

"Juliet's a slag" was a chant from Napoli fans directed to the fans of Verona during a recent encounter. There's a similar situation to the attempt to ban Spurs supporters from singing about "Yids" happening to football fans in Italy. Racist chanting is a problem in Italy but the Italian football authorities are trying to cut out what it calls "territorial discrimination" through the use of "discriminatory chants" but fans are fighting for the right to be insulted by humorous abuse. Milan fans were banned from the San Siro stadium after insulting Napoli with chants about crime, poverty and cholera (there's been recent outbreaks in Naples). The Napoli fans responded with banners and chants at their San Paolo stadium about "We are the cholera-sufferers, now close our stands" in solidarity with Milan. The Napoli fans also responded by singing a number of anti-Napoli chants.

Fred
That Juliet was a slag is

That Juliet was a slag is only half of it. There's some really Machiavellian stuff at work here.  Mercutio and Friar Lawrence were both gay and both had the hots for Romeo.  Tybalt, Juliet's brother, was homophobic and loathed both Romeo, who was more handsome than Gareth Bale, more like a taller  version of Neymar, and detested even more the witty and slippery Mercutio, who really got up his nose.  The duplicitous Friar, on behalf of the church, nagged  Tybalt endlessly about Mercutio's fag behaviour - the church being homophobic though full of queer priests - till Tybalt and his boot boys engineered a street fight in which Tybalt killed Mercutio dead in front of the "effeminate" Romeo. Or rather, behind the effeminate Romeo who was protecting his friend, though unarmed, at that moment. ( NB. Romeo laid the cause of this effeminacy at the door of his love for Juliet, this being  a common misunderstanding of the  effects of love at the time.)  Friar Lawrence thus disposed of his male rival for Romeo's  affections.  As to Juliet: well the Friar attempted to poison her with a potent sleeping draught, but this went wrong and ended up causing Romeo's suicide.   Disappointment and sadness all round. 

So chanting "Juliet's a slag" only scratches the surface of the true tale. Other chants are available, but perhaps more risky. 

So what is behind all this soccer chanting and strange self-mockery?  Is there a desire to display cultural and artistic know-how? Doubtful.  Is there a type of comradeship in self-abuse?  I mean Napoli fans mocking their own cholera outbreak, and Hotspur fans revelling in their Yiddishness? Does this somehow take the mickey  and the sting from the divisive nature of the bourgeoisie and their newspaper culture, always  eager to point out irrelevant differences and supposed deficiencies among disparate groups of people, especially the working class?   Is it the beginning of a new but still largely hidden solidarity among "rival" groups of workers; beginning to grasp that they have more in common in their down-trodden existence than might have met the eye?  

Theres nothing like like a hearty insult, and self-mockery, thrown up ironically, for cementing love and friendships. Or so it would appear. But nobody seemed to understand that in Romeo and Juliet the play,  buried in machiavellianism as they were and all engaged in mutual self-destruction. 

Fred
About these football fans.

About these football fans.  Group self-mockery, and jocular mockery of other groups of sufferers,  must surely represent in behavioral terms a growth  of consciousness.  Not class consciousness as yet, but group consciousness.   A realization of themselves as, for example, victims of crime, poverty and cholera, but as a group not as individuals.    

This is in contrast to protesters in Brazil and Turkey recently, who, we are told,  remained generally only aware of themselves as individual sufferers.  So, yippee for Italian soccer fans, and yippee too for striking bus drivers in Boston who cocked a snoop not just at the bosses and their trade union goons, but at the futility of terrorists and the police.

lem_
i'm as sad to see him go as

i'm as sad to see him go as the day is long...

baboon
lucky old spurs

Spurs were lucky to lose six-nil on Sunday. What's happened to their strikers - are they on strike?

lem_
oh god the defense were

oh god the defense were indefensible... HAHA.