Attacks on benefits are an attack on us all

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fred
Attacks on benefits are an attack on us all
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Attacks on benefits are an attack on us all. The discussion was initiated by Fred.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

Fred
Alex explains about the nasty

Alex explains about the nasty campaign to divide the working class, by rubbishing those on benefits, and the unemployed and so on - how about the just plain totally pissed off and miserable? -  and about the other side of the bourgeoie's campaign as follows. 

Quote:
 The more ‘reasonable’ side of the campaign wants to create a division between the “striving” who go to work and those who are “rewarded” for being unemployed by a “broken system” that traps people on benefits and in poverty.
<p> 

But if the system is "broken" - and god knows that's a polite way of putting it - then what would be the point of "striving" to achieve anything inside it? None at all!  And as to admitting that the broken system "traps" people in poverty...isn't this the beginnings of a communist consciousness? I agree withAlex, that this is very reasonable indeed, and to my taste - probably Alex's too. Is the bourgeoisie seeing sense at last?  Ah! But wait. I had overlooked the sting in the bourgeoisie's stumpy little tail.  The "striving" are not presented as striving inside the broken system, but as generally striving in vain - working for peanuts - and in contrast to those evil workers who want "rewards" for being unemployed and doing bugger all!   But hang on here. Surely those who want to be rewarded for doing bugger all, must include the bourgeoisie themselves who get everything in life for nothing, and are amply rewarded for being permanently unemployed themselves!  What a laugh! What a hoot!  Why should workers be penalized and treated any differently than their lords and masters the bourgeoisie? Don't we follow their good example in everything? Chancellor Osborne must surely agree. <p>

But as the system is "broken", and beyond repair,  and as the "rewards" for unemployment are hardly worth the collecting, and as we're all trapped in poverty and vicious exploitation, why don't we all strive to come together and get rid of the broken system? Now that would be reasonable. 

lem_
good post fred.   But as the

good post fred.

But as the system is "broken", and beyond repair,  and as the "rewards" for unemployment are hardly worth the collecting, and as we're all trapped in poverty and vicious exploitation, why don't we all strive to come together and get rid of the broken system?

at the moment, i am thinking of it in terms of lack of workplace belief due to [expect in freak acts of militancy] poor communication between workplaces. everyone is getting screwed by someone.