Boston Bombing: Terrorism Serves the State

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fred
Boston Bombing: Terrorism Serves the State
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Boston Bombing: Terrorism Serves the State. The discussion was initiated by Fred.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

Fred
Excellent and amazing article

Excellent and amazing article - and notes - Henk. Thank you so much. 

A.Simpleton
Indeed Fred esp. the footnotes ...

As well you know it is an age old strategy for the Capitalist machine to pump out continuously the message: 'Be afraid ...be very very afraid ..' so that it can then, at the opportune moment, sound its cavalry trumpet and cry :'Fear ye not! for we have the answer, will rescue and protect you, for verily we are kindly, humane folk ! Lo! A very important one amongst us e'en flyeth back from Mustique ..'

At least seven straight lies and a sneaky subtext of sacrifice and service .

I do, however, sense a sharply rising volume and spread of loudspeakers: it can't be age because if anything that should have an innuring effect.

I add my thanks Henk. 

Together with some interesting posts re America, (cf: the change in laws pertaining to the shooting of citizens) it started me thinking about the workers-in-uniform, their consciousness et al.: historically and now a crucial factor in the delivering of State injustice but also a crucial factor in the other direction. 

Majors and Captains coming back from Iraq: podcasting the reality they saw and experienced, getting court-marshalled for it :prepared to sacrifice their lives for the 'Nation': then, disillusioned and disgusted, even more bravely perhaps, prepared to sacrifice their livelihood and their security by exposing that Nation's lies.

Being pulled in two different directions as it were: never have you been so needed and so vital to your nation: never more casually and ruthlessly used and cast off .

Your thoughts always appreciated

AS 

Fred
On Sky News this morning it

On Sky News this morning it said that the only growth industry in the US at the moment is the production of bullets for guns!  And that the more Obama talks against gun ownership the more people are stock piling their weaponry.  This was followed on the news  by a film of people said to be victims of chemical weapons, notably sarin gas, in Syria. Foaming at the mouth was a notable symptom shown. What absolute horror!  What a stupidly ghastly world we live in.

I know we got used to wars on a big scale all through the 20th. Century, with millions dead and mass destruction and misery everywhere - something the bourgeoisie doesn't mind at all if they can make a dollar or two out of it - but somehow the development  of home grown violence and death, and do-it-yourself destruction and fear, such as we see pretty regularly these days  emanating from the happy-go-lucky and democratic USA, seems more personal and almost more nauseating than the "big production" stuff the bourgeoisie traditionally organizes: which is so unemotional and objective  of course. Just like the bourgeoisie themselves. (lol)  Never more calm and collected than when organizing one of their Death Squads - synonym for war. 

And the image of Boston's civilian population applauding the incredibly violent police action - bullet holes in the walls of many local buildings, and a general atmosphere of mayhem, much of it generated by their  saviours  the bourgeois police - and described by Henk in his article -  brought home the fact that under decomposition, even your friendly neighbourhood, where you grew up, where the kids go to school, can be turned suddenly into a  warring hell hole, and you can be reduced through fear to applauding the success of one violent group, the police, for its success in putting down the terror of another violent group who have developed a hatred for the very society in which  they live and were brought up. 

The bourgeoisie have been quick to decry the home grown terrorism committed by the two young men in Boston. It's all the fault of the boys themselves of course; they were evil, and probably born that way. Added to which they were Muslims. Christian boys don't do such things! (lol again) The state and its awful power will be reinforced to combat future attacks.  On the other hand though, the bourgeoisie seems unsure what to do about the even more violent and life and world threatening situation in Syria.  The sort of Terror found in Syria is different from that found in Boston.  In Syria there's a sort of "official" feel to the terror. After all it is a proper "official" kind of terror  between warring bourgeois groups -even if it tends to get out of hand - and doesn't therefore constitute the same kind of threat that do-it-yourself home grown terrorism presents, with its underlying sense of people taking matters into their own hands.  Though of course even this - taking things into your own hands - is all right if you're a white supremacist and religious person concerned for neighbourhood protection!  The trouble with the Boston Terror, and the reason it had to be so massively stamped on, frightening the local population and pulling them into line behind the bourgeois state, was precisely that: that somehow it comes across through its home grown nature, as being a threat to the stability of the bourgeois state. Two young men, who knows what ideas they had in their heads, challenging the state! They could have been workers, couldn't they?  They didn't particularly look like your common-or-garden Islamic extremists. So who were they and why? 

Of course I am not making any defense of terrorism. Just wondering why these two sad and unhappy young men have caused such an uproar, while chemical weapons elsewhere only raise eyebrows up till now. When will the working class put an end to all this disgusting shit? 

baboon
Colombine meets al-Qaida

On the night of the bombing Newsnight described it, quite accurately I think, as "Colombine meets al-Qaida". Nilhism, despair and alienation all mixed up in these young men's heads. It makes me wonder about how different this is from joining the regular army of the state where you can kill and blow limbs off with impunity in the name of patriotism. And we've seen the effects on that in young men and women from Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. 

The mobilisation of the population by the US state on the day of the bombing - particularly once they had ruled out the state murder and destruction of West from the "terrorist" equation - was stunning and I think that that is down to more than a sense of relief among the population. It was a major and successful propaganda campaign.

jk1921
Fantasy Land

baboon wrote:

On the night of the bombing Newsnight described it, quite accurately I think, as "Colombine meets al-Qaida". Nilhism, despair and alienation all mixed up in these young men's heads. It makes me wonder about how different this is from joining the regular army of the state where you can kill and blow limbs off with impunity in the name of patriotism.

The U.S. army recruiters are probably asking themselves the same question right now. "How did we miss out these guys?" Unfortunately for them, like everything else, the military recruiters now have to compete with the Internet fantasy land.

baboon
"terrorism"!

It's my no means definite, and very murky, but it looks at least possible that "US army recruiters" in one form may have recruited Tsarnaev the elder to fight for the interests of US imperialism. This has to be further investigated but, to me, there are credible reports coming from Georgia that young people were recruited in the US to fight in the North Caucasus against Russian interests in the growing tensions around Georgia - an imperalist "flashpoint" in this Nato country. The Washington-based Jamestown Foundation, which has clear links to the CIA, looks to be involved in this movement and training of Chechen separatist elements. There's no doubt that Russia directly warned the US about this and the individual involved in 2011. This new is on the Russian TV channel (RT) today but it does have a ring of authenticity.

Further on the west's backing of terrorism: Yesterday the EU lifted sanctions on buying oil from the facilities held by Syrian "rebels". In a remarkable article on April 27, the New York Times reports that the only effective fighting force in the Syrian "revolution" is the al-Nusra Front and there are in fact no secular fighting forces among the rebels worth a mention. This must mean that the majority of western equipment and money is going indirectly or directly to this al-Qaida group.

Al-Nusra runs the oil fields in the terrority that they control. They are the new bosses and they pay the wages of workers. Now the EU is buying oil directly from al-Qaida!

radicalchains
I'm not going to dissect

I'm not going to dissect Steve's conspiratorial view of the world simply because I can't be bothered. Just wanted to say that I have increasingly noticed within the conspiracy theory milieu everything and anything is being seen as a hoax or not real. The skepticism towards the bourgeois media is a good thing obviously but there is a growing tendency it seems to not only distrust but believe the media are actively disseminating pure fantasy. There are already videos suggesting the Woolwich murder is a hoax/false flag.

jk1921
Troubling

radicalchains wrote:

I'm not going to dissect Steve's conspiratorial view of the world simply because I can't be bothered. Just wanted to say that I have increasingly noticed within the conspiracy theory milieu everything and anything is being seen as a hoax or not real. The skepticism towards the bourgeois media is a good thing obviously but there is a growing tendency it seems to not only distrust but believe the media are actively disseminating pure fantasy. There are already videos suggesting the Woolwich murder is a hoax/false flag.

Its the logical outcome of a vulgairzed post-modern view of the world in which reality and image, fact and belief, science and power can't really be distinguished. Its worth it to note that these conspiratorial worldviews serve no particular political philosophy and can be brought to bear in service of the most disparate agendas. None of this of course means that the bourgeoisie does not conspire in a Machiavellian way to achieve its goals, but the "everything is a false flag" world view seems to prevent us from arriving at a complete appreciation of decompositon and all of its myriad consequence. In fact, this may be the real source of deep conspiracism, an attempt to console us that the state really is still in charge of everything--perhaps a less disturbing thought than that of encroaching civilizational crisis.

radicalchains
...but the "everything is a

...but the "everything is a false flag" world view seems to prevent us from arriving at a complete appreciation of decompositon and all of its myriad consequence. In fact, this may be the real source of deep conspiracism, an attempt to console us that the state really is still in charge of everything--perhaps a less disturbing thought than that of encroaching civilizational crisis.

Good point. Isn't that the essence of anti-Marxism? Not to understand the world economically and socially or to only do so in a passing manner. To instead look for the 'other' who if was only understood and then possibly vanquished we could all live in peace and harmony. Which in practical terms means support for nationalism, a faction of the ruling class, attacks on the working class etc 

LoneLondoner
...and end up defending "democracy"

Steve Hauser wrote:

We in the US are under seige now and ned to unite, as never before, to protect are lives, freedoms and what's left of democracy.

So the final conclusion is, we're under attack from the police state and we should "protect" our "freedoms" and "democracy". What freedoms and whose democracy and how are we supposed to be protecting them?

Sorry Steve, with all due respect I'm not buying in on this...

Fred
radicalchains wrote:] Isn't

radicalchains wrote:
] Isn't that the essence of anti-Marxism? Not to understand the world economically and socially or to only do so in a passing manner. To instead look for the 'other' who if was only understood and then possibly vanquished we could all live in peace and harmony. Which in practical terms means support for nationalism, a faction of the ruling class, attacks on the working class etc

Trying  to understand the world at all these days is to embark on such a terrifying venture, that it's just better to hide under the bed clothes.  But you make a serious point radicalchains.  This  may be a reason why it's  so difficult to struggle. To struggle you have to be prepared to face the reality of the world!  Better to stay at home - if you've got one - and look the other way, or tag along behind some union banner, in some pointless demo, where you don't have to think about anything for yourself 

And as to "the other"...well who is it?  Is it the two young guys who tried to blow up Boston, or the two young guys who staged a public execution in Woolwich?  I can't  get over the butcher's cleaver and the too overly blood stained hands on the tv, and the woman who passed by telling him coolly that he'll never win. Or is "the other"  the sudden arrival of the police and their weird behaviour, shouting and screaming like maniacs in Woolwich, and spraying all the nearby houses in Boston with so many bullets they made patterns on the walls for the tv to show.  In Boston, terrified civilians thanked the police generously for saving them. But who were they scared of most? In Woolwich the civilian population seemed strangely unphased by either police or jihadists.  Perhaps we get used to these once unthinkable events. Perhaps it's the Syria syndrome spreading to  western cities.

But who is "the other"?  Is it the British prime minister, standing bull-dogishly at a special podium out side number 10, telling us to have no fear, Cobra is here, and all we need to do is "stand together". Or is it the mystical mythical Cobra we should fear? Are they finally "the other"?  Or is it the tired American president himself, seemingly without power to achieve anything positive, and secretly manipulating his drones and god knows what else? Is he "the other"?

But you might play this game for ever. THE OTHER is merely the latest disguise worn by the bourgeoisie in an effort to distract us from their abominable poisonous and increasingly deadly class rule.  As their economic hold over us deteriorates, and  as they become exposed as the greatest class of liars and murderers the world has yet produced - making the terrorists in Boston and Woolwich look like mere beginners - so they are opening up the chance that soon we'll all wake up to what's happening, and start the day of reckoning!  And the sooner the better. 

radicalchains
I was thinking more along the

I was thinking more along the lines of aliens (literally)/muslims/jews/immigrants etc Just recently in the USA there was the Citizen Hearing on Disclosure. It was kind of like a mock congressional hearing with ex-congress men and women. Many bourgeois elements gave testimony. More info here:

http://www.citizenhearing.org/chd_about.html

There's a few short videos of the proceedings on that site, more available on YouTube. It's a bunch of bullshit if you ask me but it's interesting from a political point of view.

radicalchains
Well, we've just had the

Well, we've just had the Bilderberg weekend where various capitalists, aristocrats and other undesirables   meet up from around the world in private. Did anyone catch Alex Jones on BBC? It was some of the best telly I've seen in years! http://youtu.be/xgBq6q4x8Fw

There was a fringe festival of sorts near the actual meeting. Just one example of the kind of thing that went on, American Alex Jones speaking again: http://youtu.be/LKOwVZovGTo