Cosmopolis: a poetical and radical indictment of capitalism

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fred
Cosmopolis: a poetical and radical indictment of capitalism
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Cosmopolis: a poetical and radical indictment of capitalism . The discussion was initiated by Fred.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

Fred
a slap in the face

It's nice to have a film review that is readable in it's own right, and makes sense even if you haven't - and probably never will - seen the film in question. This review is exactly that, definitely makes me want to see the film, and, as an article, wouldn't have been out of place on the "art in decadence" thread of some weeks ago. Indeed, it even makes out a case for this film having an "art value" which, for myself, I had believed decadence was incapable of producing - decomposition etc. But then this is FILM and as such is not always understood generally as being respectably up for grabs as ART, and might presumably, being more or less a medium invented by decadence, for the very purposes of decadence you might say, be thought to escape the strictures that apply to "real" art.

But why have so many people been frightened away, clasping their heads as in "The Scream", by what sounds like a serious film, not full of the usual cliches, and for which they paid good money to attend?

"Many people have probably seen something that they are not used to seeing, or have experienced a kind of slap in the face. Cosmopolis is not a simple rigorous demonstration, which can be responded to with other arguments. While it is indeed a radical critique of capitalism, it is first and foremost a poetical one. The strength of great artists is to give their work an emotional dimension which penetrates the spirit and cuts through the cold mechanics of rationality. If such works make people run away or fill them with enthusiasm, if it grates on them or transports them, it’s because they are producing something which is complex and hard to
explain: emotion."

Now, while a radical critique of capitalism - not a thing most people come across much as yet - may constitute a slap in the face, or even a wake up call - I would guess that it's the unaccustomed poetical and emotional approach of this work which really scared folk off, and evoked the heebie-jeebies of the seemingly irrational. For are we not all so well-versed now in the Hollywood kind of 'rationality' and view of the world - stories so far removed from actual life as to be meaningless, so well-laced with noise, violence and explosions, or sugary, sickening well-being - that we are left quite unprepared for any experience, filmic or not, that digs beneath the outer carapace we normally don as protection against the daily ritual of existence, especially the interpretations of it as served up by so many film makers, serving the requirements of decomposition.

The last film I saw where people noticeably walked out, was "2001", but that wasn't typical Hollywood either, and capitalism was still apparently rich.

by Hollywood.

Fred
"...the cold mechanics of

"...the cold mechanics of rationality" writes El Generico. The rationality that is of capitalism, which really isn't a rationality at all, more like a controlled insanity. Was the 2nd World War rational? Is austerity rational, making people suffer hardships and cruelty to preserve a dying system? No, of course not. It's all insane. It isn't the cold mechanics of rationality at work here in capitalism now - true rationality is neither cold nor mechanical. What we are suffering from now in this terminal society, and perhaps what makes this film unpalatable for many, is the cold mechanics of irrationality disguised as something sensible and reasonable. This false consciouness is then used to repress or mislead emotion in order to carry through it's insane, unadmitted and inhuman objectives. Yet, amidst all the inhumanity of decadence, and surrounded by collapse, the film's rich hero seeks only a haircut, and appears emotionally remote.

This is not an attempt to review a film I haven't seen, but a response to El Generico's provocative review of an interesting film he saw, which clearly made its mark. Thank you.

Pierre
I found this on the net

I found this on the net earlier today, I was bored and sick and home. Amazing film. Going to watch it for the second time now, I'll be back with my thoughts soon.

If anyone needs a link to watch the film, private message me. I may or may not be able to help you.

jk1921
Available

proper_propaganda wrote:

I found this on the net earlier today, I was bored and sick and home. Amazing film. Going to watch it for the second time now, I'll be back with my thoughts soon.

If anyone needs a link to watch the film, private message me. I may or may not be able to help you.

Is it available on VHS anywhere?

Crisanto
You can download it

If comrades did not post it here I will not be interested to download and watch it. :D

I'm still downloading it now.

You can download it here (http://extratorrent.com/torrent/2808398/Cosmopolis[2012]BRRip+XviD-ETRG.html) for free. :D