Spain: how can workers respond to an economy in dire straits?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fred
Spain: how can workers respond to an economy in dire straits?
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Spain: how can workers respond to an economy in dire straits?. The discussion was initiated by Fred.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

Fred
Fingers Malone said that just

Fingers Malone said that just striking won't get the miners anywhere, and said they should occupy the mine underground. (Wouldnt that be just a little too tempting a target for the more extreme elements of the bourgeoisie, to accidentally sabotage?) Alex disagrees with this tactic too, though he agrees that just striking on it's own will achieve nothing. He says: "But does this take them any further in effective struggle? In our view the problem is not just that striking by itself is insufficient, but that struggling by themselves, isolated from other sectors of the working class, puts them into a weak position faced with the might of the state and is likely to lead to defeat."

Is it possible that the days of "just striking" as an effective tool of class struggle are over, as are the days of getting useful help from the unions, and that new strategies are required in an age of austerity; an age which David Cameron says will last till 2020 - is he being optimistic here - so that time is on our side, overlooking decomposition that is? Alex suggests that reflection on the crisis and the need for a better proletarian response is needed. But in the article on recent strikes in Turkey in the airlines industry, also on this board, Gul seems to be suggesting the emergence and ripening of a new dynamic in workers' struggle, in which the aim of the struggle becomes the self-organization of the struggle for itself, outside of just limited bourgeois type demands of an economic kind, and the learning I guess of what solidarity means, and what the development of class consciousness is and what it contributes to the class, is the thing to note and the thing to develop. The sort of thing that Rosa Luxembourg described as emanating from and generated by the mass strike, where the struggle itself was the gain.

Something about Gul's article, and implicit in this one too, has got my goat as they say. But am I barking up an idealistic tree? And is my goat purely ephemeral? Hope not.