Class struggle the only alternative to austerity and massacres

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fred
Class struggle the only alternative to austerity and massacres
Printer-friendly version

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Class struggle the only alternative to austerity and massacres. The discussion was initiated by Fred.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

Fred
Disappointment in the unions,

Disappointment in the unions, plus state repression, plus a realization that capitalism is a disaster could lead to future struggles by the working class, writes Gina. But "disappointment" in the unions? In general I'm rather disappointed by the bourgeoisie, I always thought they'd turn out to be more friendly, and loving, and sympathetic to my unhappy conditions as a worker, screwed from morn till night! It's very disappointing! I expected better things. The unions are not 'disappointing' they are an outright total disaster for us, and we are unlikely to realize that capitalism 'has nothing to offer' till we understand that and act accordingly. So what do we do? This article, like the article "Illusions in the unions leads to defeat" suggests: " The fundamental requirement for the working class is to control its own struggles and develop its own political programme. This means that it has to organise outside the structures of the trade unions. It needs assemblies and elected committees to co-ordinate its struggle."

Totally agree with all of this. Yes, we must certainly develop our own political program, left communists will be helpful here, and yes, we need assemblies and elected committees through which to do it, and yes, we have to do this outside of all the trade unions, otherwise we' ll never even be able to get started! For until we all consciously reach the point when we see the unions for what they are - the pernicious agents of the bourgeoisie - we don't stand a cat-in-hell's chance of grasping that capitalism has nothing to offer, or that we have to get rid of it. So disappointment with the unions is not enough here.

From time to time, a faction of the bourgeoisie puts another faction on trial for "crimes against humanity". The unions also commit such crimes, and we should acknowledge this. The working class is the revolutionary class and carries within it the seeds of a new and completely human-at-last society. Communism! In so far as the unions work to thwart, frustrate, bewilder, and generally fuck up the working class, and prevent it from clearly seeing what it has to do - ie get rid of the criminal capitalist system of exploitation and wars - then they too commit crimes against humanity. The unions are against the working class.