Opinions on the new website layout

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Devrim
Opinions on the new website layout
Printer-friendly version

I was wondering what people thought of the new layout of the English (and also French) page of the site. While I realise that the website team has put a lot of work into it, I don't really like it. What I think is the problem is that when you open the English home page everything doesn't fit onto the screen as it used to do. It means that the Indian and Phillipino stuff is right down at the bootom of the page and will hardly ever be seen. The other thing that I don't like about it is that there is no longer highlighting for new articles, something we we were thinking of introducing on the Turkish page because we thought it was good.

Other things are nice. The forum is good, and I think the PDF feature is good.

Devrim

zimmerwald1915
Publications and Forum

It seems to me that the new design gives precedence to ICCOnline articles rather than articles from any territorial press.  This makes some sense in that ICCOnline articles only appear on the website, any leaflets that comrades print out notwithstanding.  However, I do miss knowing when a new online article, or a new publication, came out.  Bringing back the highlighting could help with that, in the case of individual articles for ICCOnline, and in the case of the publications' icons on the right-hand side of the page.

Also, is there some way to differentiate between paragraphs on the forum?  The "standard" methods of indentation and putting blank lines between paragraphs don't work.

Devrim
To me, highlighting the

To me, highlighting the articles on ICC on-line doesn't make sense. I discussed this with one of the people from the webpage team earlier this year and he thought it was a problem then, in that we were getting more hits on those articles rather than the stuff that goes in the papers due to them being in the top right left hand corner.

The articles that are 'on-line' are sometimes stuff that must be put up immediatly, but more often articles we don't feel are as importnat as what we put in the paper.

Also my spell check doesn't work on this forum, which makes me think I must be writting very badly.

Devrim

Devrim
Yes, I just tried to

Yes, I just tried to paragraph that too, and it didn't work.

devoration1
In some respects I liked the

In some respects I liked the old site better- I think it handled the large archive of texts very well, and as Devrim said everything fit on the page, looked very 'neat' and orderly. Though the text was small on the old layout (I didn't mind it, but I understand that many people don't want to read lots of tiny print). It would be nice if at the top of the home page there were a box or something with updates to the site (such as "New issue of Internationalism out xx/xx/xxxx" or "New article on ICCOnline updated xx/xx/xxxx", etc). This would serve the same purpose as the highlighting, but reduce the 'click the yellow text' impulse.

Red Hughs
Even though it's been said, I

Even though it's been said, I would like to echo that I'm sure putting together the site was a lot of work and it is good that someone is putting the effort into that. Thank you.

Also, at least now there is central place to post comments. THAT, at least, is a great improvement over the old site.

Centralizing discussion is one important principle of communism.

baboon
new layout

A big advance on facilitating discussion which was bitty and hard to follow on the previous system. But, like others - also saluting the work involved - I liked the previous lay-out for articles and on-line texts. I don't think that the latter are less important than articles appearing in the press and I think that the previous layout in this respect was clear and easy to follow.

Marin Jensen
Replies to some of your comments

Perhaps we should have explained some of the rationale behind the new format. There were some technical issues, especially the fact that the site really didn't work on smaller screens or screens with limited resolution, hence the fact that we moved from a "liquid" format to a fixed-screen one.

Then, it seemed to us that the front page was really overcrowded and difficult to read. The idea with the links to the current main publications on the front page is that each publication should have its own "front page" so to speak, and that having bigger titles, dates, etc., should make the site easier to access and understand. Hopefully in the long run this will be the case. The archive of texts is still available from the drop-down "ICC press" at the top.

Very much take the point about wanting to see at a glance what is new on the site, so we've added a block to the left of the home page, containing a list of everything published in the last 3 weeks. Hopefully that should compensate for losing the yellow!

And all being well, the paragraphs on the forum comments should now work properly.

Glad everyone likes the forum. Bring a friend!

Niccolo Rossi
Like a few have mentioned

Like a few have mentioned already, I really liked the old site. It was very easy to navigate and having all the new content on the single page with the highlight feature was convenient. Saying that, I don't have any issues with the new format, especially considering the justification that Lone Londener has given it.

One thing I do really like about the new design is the PDFs!

Nic.

RobertZimbardo
I don't have a problem with

I don't have a problem with the new design, mainly because I know I will adjust. As already mentioned I like the PDF feature as well, I've already done some printing.

baboon
Lone, you say that you've

Lone, you say that you've added a block to the left of the Home page with the last 3 weeks publications (press and online). I can't find it - there's just an empty space. Can you help out? Ta.

Marin Jensen
Are you looking in the right place?

I can't understand this - I've checked using all my browsers and it looks fine in all of them (logged in or logged out).

The block should appear under those big fat grey buttons that run down the left hand side of the home page. If it's not there the only thing I can think of is that you need to empty the cache of your own browser - sometimes the cache doesn't get emptied and so you actually get an outdated version of the page you were looking at.

Hope this helps - all the best

baboon
Yes, thanks. I'd just found

Yes, thanks. I'd just found it anyway. I was looking to the left of the Home page into the empty space. Looking, rather than thinking outside of the box. Sorry, cheers.

Marin Jensen
Got rid of the big buttons

We decided to try getting rid of those big buttons on the front page, since they took up a lot of space especially when using a smaller screen. So the "What's new" appears right at the top now. Anyone want to have the buttons back? Please reply here!

zimmerwald1915
Buttons

Eh, I always used the gray bar at the top, which served the same function, took up less space, and looked nicer.  So no, I think removing the buttons was a great decision.

devoration1
No buttons.

No buttons.

Devrim
The paragraphing is an

The paragraphing is an improvement, well done. Spell check still doesn't seem to work.

Devrim

Marin Jensen
Don't understand the spell check issue

As far as I know the spell checking is provided by the browser on the basis of the language it assumes the site to be in. Mine doesn't propose any at all, but I don't know why since it works on some other sites. Is that what your mean. I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it though.

Marin Jensen
Now you can quote...

You now have a "quote" link in the forum, so you can quote another comment and have it appear in yours. Let us know if you have any problems with it!

zimmerwald1915
quotes

LoneLondoner wrote:

You now have a "quote" link in the forum, so you can quote another comment and have it appear in yours. Let us know if you have any problems with it!

That is an enormous help.  Thank you.

Marin Jensen
Anti-spam mechanism changed

We've been getting a number of complaints about the anti-spam, which seems to have been giving "false positives" (ie posts which are in fact not spam being considered as spam). We've just changed the anti-spam mechanism and hope this will fix the problem. Let us know (through the contact form) if you can't post when you think you should be able to.

Marin Jensen
There's a new "Search" feature...

...which you can find in the top navigation bar. The idea is to use "faceted search" techniques, like you get on sites like Amazon, to help narrow down an initial search to find what you're really looking for. It's a bit experimental at the moment and maybe needs improving, but we would welcome opinions as to its usefulness.

zimmerwald1915
Footnotes in Articles

I was reading the new issue of Internationalism that had been posted online, and the footnotes bugged me.  They force the line they're in down into the line below it, which makes both lines hard to read.  Furthermore, they do the same thing with the text of the footnote itself, which makes <i>that</i> hard to read.  Please address this as soon as everything more pressing has been dealt with.

jk1921
The lead article for the last

The lead article for the last 2 issues of Internationalism only appears when cliking on the link for the issue. There is no seperate link for the article itself. As such it is not advertised at all on the site. You have to stumble on to it by accident so to speak.