LBird's "Elected Meaning" and Postmodernism

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Non ex hoc mundi
LBird's "Elected Meaning" and Postmodernism
Printer-friendly versionSend by email

I find that a lot of arguments LBird makes about people "voting" and determining the meaning of things are quite synonymous with elements of postmodern philosophy -- Derrida, Lacan, others. Just wondering what comrade LBird and the ICC comrades and associates thought of pm and it's treatment of linguistics? Cheers

LBird
Who elects 'meaning' within Linguistics?

Non ex hoc mundi wrote:
I find that a lot of arguments LBird makes about people "voting" and determining the meaning of things are quite synonymous with elements of postmodern philosophy -- Derrida, Lacan, others. Just wondering what comrade LBird and the ICC comrades and associates thought of pm and it's treatment of linguistics? Cheers

There may be some surface similarities between what I'm arguing and 'postmodernism', NEHM, but I want to be clear that my inspirations are the ideology of Democratic Communism and the works of Karl Marx. I'm not a 'postmodernist'.

All the arguments that I've made about 'the election of truth', have been class-based, and supported by the relevant quotes from Marx, stretching from his Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts to Capital.

Postmodernism, on the contrary, is an ideology based upon individuals and their own thoughts, especially on the supposed 'elite individuals' of academia (rather than collective social theory and practice), and upon completely incomprehensible (mainly) French writers that you list (rather than Marx's partially incomprehensible writings, which require serious critical discussion by workers).

To be frank, most (if not all) postmodernist academics would shit themselves at the very notion of their 'works' being subject to democratic accountability. IMO, most (if not all) their 'works' would end up in the big round file, because postmodernism is completely useless for the purposes of the self-development of the class conscious, revolutionary, democratic communist, proletariat.

Finally, I'm yet to read of a postmodernist that argues for the 'election of truth', which I consider to be a key political question with which the proletariat has to wrestle.

FWIW, I regard postmodernism as closer politically to Leninism, notwithstanding their apparent differences. Both are elitist ideologies, which should be completely rejected by workers seeking to build for communism.