Yemen - a pivotal war in the fight for influence in the Middle East

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
Yemen - a pivotal war in the fight for influence in the Middle East
Printer-friendly versionSend by email

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Yemen - a pivotal war in the fight for influence in the Middle East. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
"Trump's incendiary

"Trump's incendiary recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel - a totally stupid and unnecessary move which will mainly please his evangelical base - can only rebound on US imperialist interests."

I am not sure its right to say Trump's base is among evangelicals. It is true that Trump won the votes of most evangelicals in the general election against Clinton, but this doesn't make them his base. This seems to reflect a bit of a misunderstanding of populism in the US context, I think. I think the recognition of Jersusalem as the capital of Israel was something driven more by a desire for a political win, a fulfillment of a campaign promise and a desire to promote the image of a strong man able to do what he wants then fulfilling some evangelical wish list (even if it had the effect of giving them something they wanted). Pence is an evangelical and he is in the Trump administration in large part to control this part of the GOP electoral base, but Trump is no Pence. It should also be noted that the recognition of Jersusalem as the capital of Israel was supported by a much broader spectrum of the US bourgeoise, including Democrats like Chuck Shumer, Ben Cardin and the outspoken Alan Dershowitz. It was something driven as much by a certain "Zionist lobby" as it was by evangelical theology, but also by a desire by certain factions of the US bourgeoisie (across party lines) to assert its imperialist weight more forefully in the region after the perceived weakness of the Obama administration, which severely strained the US-Israel relationship.