Philippines’ “Culture of Killings”: expression of decomposing world capitalism

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jk1921
Philippines’ “Culture of Killings”: expression of decomposing world capitalism
Printer-friendly versionSend by email

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Philippines’ “Culture of Killings”: expression of decomposing world capitalism. The discussion was initiated by jk1921.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

jk1921
Last night, I pulled up at a

Last night, I pulled up at a stop light behind a huge SUV with two gaudy stickers picturing a map of the Phillipines with a giant fist and the name D-U-T-E-R-T-E-! screaming at me in all caps. I was absolutely horrified by this. This occured in one of the most unabshedly liberal and affluent enclaves of a first world country, where people pride themselves on their openess to others, acceptence of difference and proudly display yard signs expressing their love of immigrants. This isn't Trump/Brexit/Le Pen country by any means. It was like a giant scab was ripped off calling into question the liberal construction of immigrants as oppressed but universally virtuous people (perhaps virtuous becasue of their oppression?), who are natural allies of the anti-populist resistance. Well, maybe not. Or, at least, not always.

It was a more direct and in the face example of a certain disillusionment that transpired when it was revelaed that Aun Sun Kyi--the hero of pro-democracy liberals for the last decade and a half--was herself going soft on the Burmese miltary's repression (genocide?) of the Rohingyas. How could that be? How could such a figure turn out to be such a fraud even on bourgeois liberalism's own terms? Was it because she was forced to concede to a certain political reality in her country in which the Rohingyas are constructed as a kind of "unter-mensch," or foreign interlopers, or just "nasty," "trashy" people that even educated urbane people destest--similar to the way drug users have been constructed as a subhuman other in the Phillipines?

Obviously, there is a certain parallel here to the rise of anti-immigrant sentiment in the first world, but at least here there is resistance. Trump may have won, but he wasn't supposed to, he snuck into office on the back of the Electoral College. Duterte on the other hand does appear to have something like majority support (even in the emigre community?) and I ponder whether ASK's equivocations are a kind of forced capitulation to an overhelming political reality in her country that she simply cannot go against without weaking her domestic position (even if there is increased international pressure to revoke her Nobel prize, honourary Canadian citizenship, etc.)

In any event, I think this raises the question of the "pogrom mentality," which is a phrase that often appears in ICC texts, but which is never really elaborated. What does it mean exactly? Is what we are witnessing here in the Phillipines and elsewhere an example of it? What are its origins? What does it say that it appears in such an advanced way today and not always as an expression of something forced on society by they state, but carried out with the legitimacy of public opinion?

pinoy2017
Worst effects of decomposition

I think in the peripheries or backward capitalist countries we can witness the worst faces of decomposition (ie, 'every man for himself' and 'one against all') that even significant numbers of the working population are affected by this plague.

"Blaming" someone or group of peole, race, religion, etc for the sufferings and poverty of the whole population is the mantra of right-wing populits leaders like Duterte. We can also witness the worst expression of decomposition: fanaticism, either to race, religion or personality.