Spain: Debate on the general strike

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fred
Spain: Debate on the general strike
Printer-friendly versionSend by email

The discussion that follows was prompted by the article: Spain: Debate on the general strike. The discussion was initiated by Fred.
Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

Fred
the bourgeoisie and the burning bum

These documents are a bit confusing and contradictory at times, but contain some really exciting ideas expressed in novel ways. It's the proletarian voice we hear. For instance, comrade V is against "activism" and says: "...it has nothing to do with the real rhythm of the working class struggle...It is possible some of us felt less lonely in these actions...but the need for "company" is not a political imperative...What is indeed needed are coherence and honesty. Revolutionaries are not "lonely". We are part of a class that needs and can change the world."

Later on, comrade Draba discusses the development of revolutionary thought, and - sort of - strays onto the subterranean maturation of consciousness territory. A bit. Draba talks of the "intellectual" aspects of austerity and misery, and how this contributes to the emergence of proletarian vanguards, which not everyone welcomes. (I think this is a reference back to the rejection of vanguards by certain aspects of the Occupy movement given in the first document.) Anyway Draba has quite a lot to say on this as follows.

" In this sense, the minorities that surge within the proletariat in search of theoretical-practical and political weapons to confront the capitalist system are an expression of the struggle against the existing conditions of life, of a confrontation happening outside of periods of open struggles and are very important for a political vanguard of the proletariat.   Underestimating their role and importance is the equivalent of negating the fact that the class reflects, and that this is a crucial element in its struggle, both for its economic and political interests.  To give these minorities no role other than to ‘dilute’ themselves in confused movement, or in artificial ‘unitary organs’ put in place by ‘radical’ syndicalism and by the extreme left is to contribute to disarming the proletariat and opening the door to the worse kind of politics, the worse of substitutionism: by the bourgeoisie, its unions, and its left."

I like the idea of "surging minorities" - Rosa would like that - and Draba's main point about the danger of "negating the fact that the class reflects, and that this is a crucial element in it's struggle..." Draba does seem to know what he's talking about, and appears connected closely to actual on-the -ground class struggle. Does this carry as much weight as I think?

I also liked whoever it was who pronounced: THE VOLCANO ON WHICH THE BOURGEOISIE IS SITTING IS HOTTER THAN EVER which is a very good image to take away and ruminate over for the christmas hols. Best wishes to all comrades.

Fred
Regarding the volcano on

Regarding the volcano on which the bourgeoisie uncomfortably squats as in permanent constipation, will the ultimate explosion when it comes be like the classical devastation of Mediterranean Thera, or more like the global Armageddon of Toba? Given the huge unleashing of forces associated with revolutionary class struggle, and the enormous changes it brings about, I think we must go with Toba, which almost brought the world to an end and nearly wiped humanity out. The volcanic nature of the class explosion envisaged by our Spanish comrades will change the social world for ever as Toba almost did. This is from Wikepedia.

Quote:
. Ann Gibbons first suggested, in an article in the October 1993 edition of Science, that a bottleneck in human evolution about 50,000 years ago could be linked to the Toba eruption.[23] Rampino and Self backed up this idea in a letter to the journal later that year.[24] The bottleneck theory was then further developed by Ambrose in 1998 and in 2000 who invoked the Toba eruption to explain a severe culling of the human population.[25]

According to the supporters of the genetic bottleneck theory, between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago, human population suffered a severe population decrease—only 3,000 to 10,000 individuals survived—followed eventually by rapid population increase, innovation, progress and migration.[26] Several geneticists, including Lynn Jorde and Henry Harpending, have proposed that the human race was reduced to approximately five to ten thousand people.[27] Genetic evidence suggests that all humans alive today, despite apparent variety, are descended from a very small population, perhaps between 1,000 to 10,000 breeding pairs about 70,000 years ago.[28] Note that this is an estimate of ancestors,
not of total human population. Isolated human populations that eventually died out without descendants may have also existed in numbers that cannot be estimated by geneticists.

If a mere geological event can do all this, then just imagine the power of tbe proletarian revolution when we finally erupt! Happy New Year.

baboon
Same to you Fred

I take your point about the possible nature of  "volcanic" eruptions of class struggle and would link this to the subterrenean, underground development of class consciousness but, while I don't have any details to hand, I understand that the Toba bottleneck theory has been largely discredited.

There is certainly global evidence of huge deposits of ash, etc., from Toba settling all over the world but there is also evidence of human life continuing globally.